SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
macmex

Sweet Potato Harves

Macmex
11 years ago

Hey Folks,

It's been challenging to get on lately, let alone take time to write. I just finished digging sweet potatoes for the year and thought I'd share some observations. I'll have to return to this thread to add more, as time does not permit a leisurely posting.

This year's harvest was the best I've had in three seasons. Having said that, I can also say that production was mediocre. Still, mediocre is better than poor ;)

Some varieties didn't do all that great. One did outstandingly: Red Wine Velvet.

Here are some pictures

This is Red Wine Velvet (red skin/orange flesh). It did REALLY well. My theory is that it did better than other varieties because the row was going East and West on a garden with a slight North/South slope. Whenever there was irrigation or rain, the hill trapped the moisture without letting it run off.

This is Ozark County, one which Gary Schaum (Duck Creek Farms) sent me to try. This one didn't size up as much as I would have liked. But, from what it did produce, I am pretty sure it will be a heavy producer in the future. It is also a good tasting sweet potato (yellow flesh and skin).

Sorry for the blur. I took this picture, at twilight, with my IPod. This is Brinkley White (white skin and cream flesh). This is one of my favorites. The roots pictured here were all from one plant, the one which produced the best. Unfortunately, when I gathered them up, I placed them gently on top of the bucketful of smaller roots, walked it from the garden gate and set the bucket over our chain link fence in the yard; all this to protect them from goats). I quickly returned to the garden gate, to latch it, before goats noticed the opportunity. I latched it, and turned around... to discover that my daughter's 16 hand quarter horse was happily reaching over the chain link fence and chowing down on my bucket of sweet potatoes. She demolished all the larger roots in just a few moments, spitting pieces all over the place when I chased her off!

I don't yet have pictures. But we also grew Grand Asia (rose/purple colored skin and white flesh), Cordner (orange flesh/ copper skin) and Cordner's Red (red skin/ orange flesh). All of these showed very good potential. It was a first for me to grow these and Ozark County. Gary sent them to me to trial. They're all keepers! Some were grown with partial shade, and I've concluded that sweet potatoes simply do WAY better with full sun. But I have enough to eat some and, most of all, to start for slips in the spring.

I hope to plant twice as many sweet potatoes for next year. We really eat a lot of them.

Okay. I'll return to this soon.

George

Tahlequah, OK

Comments (12)