SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
scottokla

OT - We have had a cougar killed near Minco

12 years ago

A car hit one along a highway. I don't have a link yet.

It was male, but I don't know the age. Missouri especially is seeing lots of them this year, and Iowa and other states to our north are having regular confirmations now. Nebraska now has a small resident population, and the South Dakota population has grown large enough that they have run out of territory there and are dispersing in large numbers to these other states in the last couple of years.

The Texas population is the only one not growing so the numbers confirmed dispersing from those territories is close to zero. Also, the NM and CO populations at our panhandle's west end are not studied much, but they don't appear to dispersing much from there either, although the suitable territory there is not that big or great.

It will be interesting to see where this one originated. If I had to guess, I'd guess this one followed the Canadian River from our west in the last month or two, and is not from the Black Hills, but we'll see. Most people think these animals are bring pushed out of their home ranges by people moving into there, but the reality is that the populations of cougars has been healthy and growing for a long time now for most of the west and they are running out of space there.

In my mind I always estimate the number of cougars in an area like ours to be 5 to 10 times the number killed each year by autos. Makes you wonder...

Comments (7)

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022