SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
scottokla

Anyone keeping up on latest cougar stuff?

scottokla
12 years ago

The young Tulsa female was likely from the Black Hills based on DNA tests, which is not surprising since they couldn't find anything indicating it was a pet based on the physical exam. Based on its behavior and broken foot I would not be surprised if it got to the Tulsa area via a trapper, but there is also a good chance it roamed here.

The one killed by a car in Connecticut was also from the Black Hills area based on DNA tests. That makes three known Black Hills cats that recently traveled at least 700 miles to get killed somewhere far from "home". The Black Hills area is full and now North Dakota and Nebraska are established breeding territories with dispersers showing up regularly in Minnesota, Wisconsin, Iowa, and Missouri. We aren't really seeing a lot of dispersers yet but we have had a few and I bet we get a couple of dead cats on roadways or a few more trail cam pics this year.

I just read today about a trail cam picture of a lion near Keystone and there is some interesting info about our NE bear population starting to come out - likely effected by the drought.

Lots of interesting stuff going on.

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Fourteen Thirty Renovation, LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Professional Remodelers in Franklin County Specializing Kitchen & Bath