SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
susanlynne48

Frustration at HD Yesterday

susanlynne48
14 years ago

So, I am all excited to go get my "stuff" to plant the blueberries. HD has always been a bit less expensive than Lowe's IMHO, so I stop there first. Lots of broken bags of peat (the packed square ones?), so I am tickled that I may get a good price on them. Oh, no. They only want to discount 10%, which means I get about 80 cents off the $8.00 price! I do walk away with my Espoma acid lovers food and a couple of big plastic pots. They also tell me they don't discount more until they have several broken bags on a big pallet and then they sell them by the pallet - what's up with them?

I end up at Lowe's where they sell 40 lb bags of peat for $1.29 and a humongous bag of potting soil with moisture control cuz I have decided to pot the plants for now (I will have to watch closely so it doesn't dry out but I thought it would be helpful if we have a dry winter). Since most potting soil is peat-based, it should work fine. I swear the bag weighed 100 lbs cuz I struggled to hoist the thing into my shopping cart (they never have anyone around to help us old ladies). One thing about these big box stores is that they are definitely NOT into customer service, LOL! But between the two I spent well under a ten dollar bill.

So, I didn't get any amazing deals at HD to sum it up. There is a price to pay between spending a bit more money with lots more help from staff and doing it cheaper at the discount (or so they are called) stores.

Okay, now I have vented and would like to hear your experiences. And no I didn't ask for help because I think it is something that should be offered especially when I am basically the only shopper in the garden area...duh. Guess I need to improve in that area.

Susan

Comments (6)