SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
okiedawn1

I Was A Pepper-Picking Fool Today

15 years ago

After last night's 31 degrees and short-lived hard frost, I decided to pick what was left of the peppers and tomatoes before tonight's frost finishes them off.

I picked 5 gallons of peppers, both hot and sweet, but definitely mostly hot. Among the peppers picked today were Jaloro (a yellow jalapeno), Bulgarian Carrot, Red Habanero, Peach Habanero and Mustard Habanero, Purple Cayenne, Hot Banana Pepper, Sweet Banana Pepper, Mucho Nacho Jalapeno, Grande' Jalapeno, Red Beauty Sweet Bell, Orange Beauty Sweet Bell and Chocolate Beauty Sweet Bell. The heaviest producers, by far, were Mucho Nacho jalapeno, Grande' jalapeno and Jaloro. I also had really heavy production from the banana peppers and purple cayenne.

The tomatoes were not as exciting. I pick so many regularly that there were not a whole lot left worth picking. I had a lot of really, really small green ones that weren't worth bothering with. I did pick about 45 or 50 tomatoes (to go with the 2 gallons already sitting on the kitchen counter), including Ramapo F-1, Nebraska Wedding, Cherokee Green, Earl's Faux, Indian Stripe, Red Grape, Tess' Land Race Currant and Husky Orange Cherry.

I thought it was interesting that among the tomatoes that have made it this far on so little moisture, I still had a nice variety of colors: red (Ramapo, Red Grape, Tess' Land Race Currant), green (Cherokee Green), pink (Earl's Faux), Black (Indian Stripe), and orange (Nebraska Wedding, Husky Orange Cherry). The flavors also vary as much as the colors, which keeps it interesting. A neighbor picked about 5 gallons off their plants and gave me half. (I just won't turn down tomatoes even if I have too many as it is!)

I guess Friday will be spent in the kitchen putting up the harvest. I still need to dig the fall crop of Irish potatoes. They haven't frozen yet, but I hope to get the digging done this weekend before next week's killing freeze.

Oh, and I found a surprise pumpkin in a tomato bed about 20 yards away from the pumpkin bed! It was sort of hidden under its' plant's own leaves (I knew the plant was there, but hadn't noticed the pumpkin) and under a very large and lush Earl's Faux plant and the companion planting of lemon basil. The pumpkin is, I think, a Musquee de Provence, although I didn't think I planted that kind this year. Such surprises are fun though. I did leave a few pumpkins and winter squash on the vine. Frost won't hurt them much and I already have a big pile of them decorating the back porch.

It was sort of bittersweet, harvesting ahead of a frost, loving every minute of being in the garden where lots of flowers and herbs remain in bloom and I have about 3 dozen ornamental pepper plants just covered in tiny peppers. I imagine the next two nights will turn all but the hardiest plants brown, so I just tried to enjoy them as much as possible. I only found damage from this morning's frost on ONE plant--a Poinsettia pepper plant that was about 3' tall and covered in peppers. It has foliar burn on the uppermost foliage.

I had cats, birds (wild, not domestic), butterflies, bees and dogs in the garden with me today and it was a perfectly lovely day, but we are headed for a pretty cold night.

Oh, and for those of you who read the saga of the cow search, the yellow cow is back home and, presumably, headed for the sale barn. The rancher-neighbor said that he doesn't keep rogue cattle who won't behave--too much trouble and also too dangerous.

Dawn

Comments (6)