SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pyratejim

Over wintering Needle Palms & Yucca Rostrata outdoors - 1st time

pyratejim
16 years ago

I picked up two nice Needle Palms in northern, central florida in July and got them immediately in the ground up here in s/e Michigan. Temps were about the same and they are doing well. I plan on overwintering them outdoors (obviously) for the first time this winter. I was told how to do it by a local nursery who claims to be familiar with doing this, but wanted to check and ask for suggestions from some of the more expereinced experts here.

1. Wrap palms, loosly, with white outdoor christmas lights.

2. Box in palms with wood stakes and burlap.

3. Fill in/cover palm with foam packing peanuts (allows air movement, retains heat, dont hold moisture)

4. Cover top with landscaping plastic, vs. burlap, to keep snow, rain, ice ect... from dripping through.

I have a 3' Yucca Rostrata that went into the ground in early May (it wintered in the house/dinning room last winter)and had to be replanted in July. I did notice some nice new root growth and it too is doing great. I am thinking about doing the same thing for the yucca.

All 3 plants are in an southern, open area with no wind protection, but with plenty of sun from about an hour after sunrise till sunset. I'll post acouple of pics of plants and area later this afternoon.

This is my first attempt to winter anything outdoors. Does this method sound feasable to the experts?

Comments (3)