SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
xerophytenyc

Cycads vs. Palms

xerophyte NYC
17 years ago

After reading many posts in this forum, it seems to me that one of the common themes is overwintering palms in pots indoors where climate does not allow an outdoor planting.

Like myself, I think that those of us attempting to do just that are trying to recreate the "tropical" effect of big, lush pinnate leaves, on a sizeable trunk, without having to move to Florida.

Why are more gardeners not growing some of the larger cycad species? Many will produce huge fronds and leaves, and seem to be much more adaptable to pot and indoor culture. And since they go through a dormant period in the winter, they do not need any more light than most of us can supply with a nearby window, and humidity is not really an issue.

To me, the only legitimate reason for northerners not favoring cycads as container plants is the slow growth rate for trunks compared to palms, or perhaps steep prices for large specimens.

I have several large cycad species that are super-easy to keep overwinter, and they look great in the house. When friends come over they cannot believe that "palm trees" can be grown in NY, so then I have to explain that they are cycads not palms, etc. I have a few smaller palms that I am trying out for comparison, and this winter will be my first attempt so we'll see how it goes.

Thoughts?

Comments (4)