SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
wxman81

Winter protection method

wxman81
15 years ago

Trying to figure out the best protection method for my trachycarpus fortunei, 2 washingtonia robustas, and butia capitata. I will be covering each with a plastic greenhouse for the winter months...sort of like this, but I home built mine using 2x2's and plastic sheeting:

{{gwi:1160343}}

I will be wrapping up the leaves using mesh netting so that the smallest possible structure is put over them to conserve heat. I was then torn on three possible options to heat them.

1. Use pipe heat cable and lay it on the ground and let the heat radiate up over the palm in the greenhouse. Its nice because it has a built in thermostat, but its really pricey.

2. Use a flood light for heat in the enclosure. Problem is, I'm afraid of scald where the light hits directly.

3. Wrap Christmas lights around the netting so that the palm is bathed in heat. Just wondering of that would be warm enough.

I want my palms to make it, so I'm prepared to do whatever it takes, just don't want to spend foolish amounts of money doing it, if it can be done cheaper.

Comments (8)

Sponsored
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery
Average rating: 4.4 out of 5 stars233 Reviews
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery