SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
okiedawn1

Another One Bites The Dust.!

Okiedawn OK Zone 7
15 years ago

Most of the time I am a calm and rational woman. Still, I am a city girl, born and bred, and don't think I'll EVER get used to walking out the door and encountering a rattlesnake.

I walked out the door (and I can't even remember where I was headed or what I intended to do, LOL) and saw 2 guineas and several cats standing/sitting in a small semicircle. In the middle of that semicircle was a coiled-up rattlesnake, just a-rattling away. To say that I was instantly panicked doesn't even begin to describe it. I was wondering how many cats the snake would strike before I could get them away from it. For that matter, I was wondering if any cats had already been struck. The idiot cats were just sitting and looking at it and every now and then one of them would lean in to get a closer look. They reminded me of a bunch of Cub Scouts sitting around a campfire!

To make a long story short, the snake won't be entertaining the cats or guineas, or scaring me, anymore. Meanwhile, the cats are in the house wondering why they got fed and locked up inside in the middle of the afternoon. I don't think any of the cats got struck before I came outside, but I could be wrong. They seem OK though.

The snake was in a shady spot, between the guinea coop and the chicken coop, lying in a patch of 4 o'clocks. It is a spot I walk past constantly when I am outside. I had probably stepped directly in that spot 6 or 8 times this morning when I was going back and forth letting birds out of the coops, out of the pens, putting out food for them, refilling their waterers with fresh water, etc.

It was a timber rattler, by the way. Around here, everyone calls them velvettails because their rattles are black and look velvety. Timber rattlers are pretty mean. I see them less often than I see diamondbacks and copperheads, but I see them every year. Well, may not have seen one last year, but last year was an anomaly.

The remains of the snake are hanging on the barbed-wire fence so DH and DS can see it when they get home from work.

I don't like having venomous snakes around our animals, and I am just glad this one apparently didn't hurt anyone.

I haven't seen a snake in the yard since July, and all I'd seen this year so far had been green tree snakes, rat snakes and chicken snakes. Everyone tells me that "if you have one velvettail, then you have more than one". We searched and didn't find another, so maybe this one was alone.

I really, really don't like snakes and I am not sorry this one no longer slithers amongst us.

Dawn

Comments (7)