SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pharoah_gw

Thornton's Lemon Drop

pharoah
12 years ago

To any of you that have this variety, what size are the flowers supposed to be??

From everything I have read, they are LARGE! Today my first Lemon Drop flower opened at it's only about 2 inches (if that)!!

I am in love with everything else about it....beautiful growth habit, beautiful leaves, inflos galore, great scent, etc.

She gets about 9 hours of direct sun and is doing very well in a 15 gallon pot but why is the flower so small?? Do you think if she was moved to an East facing spot with 6 hours of sun the flower size would increase??

This is frustrating!

Tony

Comments (29)

• Kimo
    12 years ago

Hey Tony,
    There is Thortons Lemon Drop and Ive also heard of a "Lemon Drop" plumeria, and I believe the "Lemon Drop" is a smaller flower. TLD is full petaled and can get big/large

• pharoah
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks James. I definitely have Thornton's Lemon drop.... I am just surprised by the first flower's size especially since we are hovering between mid 70's and 80. The second bud appears to be larger so hopefully the rest will follow.

Tony

• Related Discussions

Thornton's Lemon Drop

Q

Comments (11)
    Thanks Laura, moonie. yes, in a few weeks the TLD should be covered with flowers from top to bottom, definitely seems to like it in the ground. Not bad for a 3 1/2 year old that started as a cutting from a tree that got split in two in Sept 2010. But strangely the growth seems kind of weak, prone to breaking off. But until something new breaks off I'm enjoying the blooms :) So Laura, did i hear something about you coming out west around the time of JJ's open house? Mike
    ...See More

Thornton Lemon Drop Cuttings... short cuttings work!

Q

Comments (26)
    HI Mike!!! I will see you again on the next " stocking up trip". LOL!!! We really had a wonderful time.. Miss it already!! I love it there... Lovely ETLD. make me happy to see those bloom, she is a classic and I agree with others.. A must have in any collection!! She is that gorgeous !! Mike, I would love to give typhoon a try at my best rooting attempts! Thank you for the kind offer!!! Nicole.. " Pretty Princess". I laugh at that name too!! But she sure is a beauty.. Heck. What ever they call it,, " gorgeous gal.." " blond bombshell" Lol. I still would love to have it! To funny.... I'm laughing with you right now... ;-) Dave.. No worries. ;-) Take care everyone!!! Laura
    ...See More

Lemon Drop

Q

Comments (5)
    You might try and contact Emerson. He had a bunch of cuttings rooting when I went and visited him earlier this year. He didn't want to sell any at the time cause he didnt know if they had rooted or not. I have been looking for one as well and have been thinking about going to see him.
    ...See More

ET Lemon Drop

Q

Comments (11)
    Miguel, grafting will give you a big head start over a cutting. Florida Colors takes cuttings and grafts them onto proven strong root stock from seedlings, much like rose and citrus growers do. It saves them time over rooting and I think the success rate is higher. A lot of people still prefer rooted or "on own root stock" because grafts from some poor overseas growers aren't well-done or the cutting's growth rate doesn't match the root's. FC grafts should not give you any problems like that; Luc there is an excellent grafter. He's even grafted (and saved) some very shriveled cuttings for me in the past. Jen in TX
    ...See More
  • pharoah
    Original Author
    12 years ago

slave2thefur,

Thanks and I do understand that but this guy's roots fill up a 15 gallon pot!

I would expect it if it was a newly rooted cutting in a 1 gallon or even a 5, but 15?! It's been rooted since June of 2009 though it is the first bloom cycle.

Tony

• tdogdad
    12 years ago

Tony- the lemon drop is not a really big flower, maybe three and a half inches at best, but it is a heavy bloomer. Mine had 25 inflos like the picture all blooming at once. This year I have over 30 inflos ready to flower.
    {{gwi:1167639}}

• pharoah
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Bill,
    Okay thanks. Well, hopefully in my area I will at least get some 3 inch blooms. One site said the flowers were 4 to 4 1/2 inches and another said up to 5 1/2.

Tony

• dewaine_2008
    12 years ago

Tony, our E.T.'s Lemon Drop is still a small plant. We had it in a large pot for about 5 years and it blessed us each year with some nice flowers. Last year I put her in the ground under a huge camphor tree against a south facing wall.

It was like I had given her a magic potion. She came alive and threw flowers like you wouldn't believe. I didn't measure any but they were quite sizable, at least 4 inches I'd say. She's producing many inflos now on very short branches. Looks like she'll put on quite a show again this year.

Good luck with yours.

Dewaine
    {{gwi:1167640}}
    {{gwi:1167641}}
    {{gwi:1167642}}
    {{gwi:1167643}}

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    12 years ago

Hello Everyone!!!

Dewaine...beautiful pictures of the Amazing " Elizabeth Thornton Lemon Drop".....what a beauty she is!!!

The fragrance of this particular tree is just amazing!!!

Tony, My flowers range from 3-4 inches in size..

My tree is pushing two inflos already, so im looking forward to a show in a few weeks!!!!

I can't wait until i see clusters like Bill's!!

Looking good Bill!!! Those inflos are huge!!!

James.........Love your pictures as well!!! I can only amagine what your yard smells like with all of those ET Lemon Drop inflos........

Everything looks great !!!

Tony....Good luck with your tree...she will produce some good inflos for you....keep us updated...

Love to see all of these great pictures......

Keep them coming!!!!!!!

Happy Summer Everyone!!!

Laura in VB

• pharoah
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for all of the info and for sharing all of those amazing pics of Thornton's Lemon Drop!!! She's definitely a keeper regardless of the flower size, but I'm secretly hoping for 4 inch flowers :) She has 9 inflos already and two of those were produced on 1 inch tips!

Laura, I agree the scent is WONDERFUL! I really got lucky there because I had never smelled it before purchasing it...and not every plumie scent appeals to me. In fact, there are a few that my nose will never go near again HAHAHAHA!

DeWaine,
    When your Lemon Drop was in a pot, was it also under the Camphor tree?? Obviously she loves being in the ground...I'm just wondering if she prefers a partial shade situation because of our extreme heat.

Tony

• jandey1
    12 years ago

I've been wondering about the partial-shade myself because my only inflo (other than what I've bought with inflo) is on a NOID white rooted last year that sat under the filtered sun of a red oak all year, and even now only gets a few hours of afternoon sun. Do all varieties really need at least 6 hours of sun, especially in hotter states like mine?

Btw, Dewaine, glorious photos once again!

• slave2thefur
    12 years ago

Dewaine - that is one beautiful plant....inspiring!

I checked my notes, and LD, like many other popular blooms, has varying size descriptions. I find the PSA description to be the most reliable - 3.5".

Here's the full note...

Lemon drop #224 AKA Thornton Lemon Drop, other dopplegangers. 3 1/2" yellow with lemon fragrance. Same detail as Celadine although flower is almost entirely yellow. White edging as flower ages. Large dramatic white flowers with a yellow splash in the center. Blooms about 4". The center yellow is slightly smaller than the traditional lemon drop. Strong lemon fragrance. Brilliant yellow; petal wide, elliptical, pointed tip, highly overlapping, no bands on front or back; heavy texture; 3 1/2"; excellent keeping quality. 3-4" with a great fragrance. Its growth habit is compact with well proportioned branching. Best for fragrance. A seedling of 'Courtade Pink' but may be a natural cross with Celadine as ET had a large and varied collection. Recommended, never stops blooming on one branch or another. Large clusters of bright yellow color with little white edge around the petals, 4-4.5", medium fragrant. Pod Parent: Courtade Pink. Bright green leaves with pubescent new growth. Compact tree. Multiple, full, vibrant yellow inflos. Bright white along the outer edges of the petals. The leaves are dark green, quite lush and full. Fragrance, medium strong, can't classify the scent, but pleasant. The only bloom that isn't effected by the cool temps. Heavy bloomer. Easy to root. One of the most floriferous.

• dewaine_2008
    12 years ago

Thanks to all for the kind words. I'm wondering if anyone has both E.T.'s Lemon Drop and Lueang Compact. My Lueang Compact will be blooming this year for the first time and the pictures I've seen of the flower look almost identical to my Lemon Drop at times. Just wondering if they could be the same plant.

Tony, our Lemon Drop was in direct sun all day when it was potted. I believe we saw a big improvement in the plants performance because we put it into Mother Earth and not because it prefers the partial shade. Every plant we've put into the ground has always improved dramatically in every way. Just wish we had more ground.

Happy Memorial Day everyone!

Dewaine
    {{gwi:1167644}}

• slave2thefur
    12 years ago

I have Lueng Compacta aka Gold Bouquet, and it's not the same. GB reflexes heavily into a tennis ball, and the petals are rounder.

• dewaine_2008
    12 years ago

Thanks Diana. Do you have a picture of your Lueng Compacta that you'd be willing to share?

Dewaine

• slave2thefur
    12 years ago

Blooms as they first open

From Plumeria and other blooms 2010

after a day, showing reflexed petals

From Plumeria and other blooms 2010

It's been a great performer, even as a small plant. Five inflos getting ready to bloom on 3 tips... inflos are from last year. No scent, but blooms all summer long.

• dewaine_2008
    12 years ago

Thanks Diana, now I'm REALLY looking forward to the flowers opening on mine.

Dewaine

12 years ago

Hello Everyone...

Cheers!!! To the U.S. Army Military Police!!!

What a handsome group!!!

Thank you for posting that picture Dewaine...

To ALL of of MIlitary Veterans...Past, Present and Future..

THANK YOU For all of your sacrifices and to the families of all of these fine men and women..they to have given alot for us all to have the freedoms that we all enjoy today...

To be able to have a family gathering in peace is only a small part of what they have given for us all...lets not forget the true meaning of this holiday...

I am a strong believer in showing our military the thanks that they deserve...

My son in law is in the 82nd Airborne..and i am very proud of what he does on a daily basis...

So proud to be an AMerican!!!

Happy Memorial Day Everyone!!!

Laura in VB

• ladyver
    12 years ago

My Thornton's Lemondrop gets large flowers, and inflos on every branch every year. I've had it for a number of years and found that it even flowers well in partial shade. I plunked it in the ground last summer in an area that gets morning sun, and the thing has an inflo on every branch. Love this plant.

• sunseeker53
    12 years ago

Sounds like a real winner! I can't wait for my cutting to get big enough to bloom!

• pharoah
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Just chiming in to say my Thornton's Lemon Drop is now producing 3 1/2" flowers so I'm stoked! It definitely ranks in my top 3 overall. I highly recommend it!

Tony

• funinthesunincl
    12 years ago

Yesterday I purchased a beautifully shaped, perfectly tiered, 4 branch Thorton's Lemon Drop from Emerson & Nancy, aka...Nan & The Plumeria Man....at the Houston PSA Sale yesterday!!! So excited about this beauty!!! They had the most BEAUTIFUL, LARGE TLD in their yard full of beautiful, big yellow blooms on my last visit to their house in LaPorte!!!! Ever since that visit, and seeing the large vibrant flowers, I have wanted to add this BEAUTY to my collection!!! P.S. If you ever get a chance to visit Emerson do so!!!! Beautiful 'Plumeria Heaven' on their property!!! Nicest people!!!!!

~Mary Jane

>>>>Waving at James!!!!!! :)))))))))

• jandey1
    12 years ago

Mary Jane, how wonderful! I wanted to go the sale but couldn't justify the trip from Austin since I've already bought so many great plants this year. Don't trust myself not to go crazy! Hope the TLD blooms well for you. Were there a lot of plants in bloom available this year?

Jen

• pharoah
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Mary Jane,

Congrats on getting TLD! Is it rooted?

Tony

• funinthesunincl
    12 years ago

Jen.....don't worry about missing this show, there will be another one in Katy in August...a PSA Annual Show and Sale. Maybe that one would be even closer to you in Austin!!! I arrived later than normal to the Show on NASA Rd 1 yesterday, so alot of plumeria plants/cuttings were already gone. (Mind you, I have gone to this Sale for years on back...). But even 2 hours after the start, there were still alot of plumeria (many with blooms on....). The PSA does a WONDERFUL display up front of each individual plumeria blooms---each labeled for gazing and taking in the various scents.... And let me tell you, that display smelled like Heaven on earth!!! A huge display!!! And Emerson also had a display of his blooms to the side of his huge display of beauties!! So if you wanted a particular plant, but it wasn't in bloom, it was very nice to check out the PSA Display!! They had an ongoing generous free raffle for many rooted plumeria plants & gave away free bags of plumeria fertilizer. It is so nice to mingle with fellow plumerians that share the love for these beauties!!

Tony...yes the Thorton's Lemon Drop is rooted!!! :)))))) Can't wait to see this beauty in action!! I wish you could see Emerson's TLD tree---AMAZING with all the gorgeous blooms covering the tree--- With the age of that tree, it was covered w/hundreds, probably thousands of blooming inflos!! Big flowers too, bright yellow---yes, we have the heat!!!

I am posting a link to the PSA Homepage---the next date for the Katy Show/Sale is not posted yet, but I am sure it will be soon!! :)

Off to mist my plumeria patch--it was a scorcher today!! Still no measurable rain since January!!

Have....FuninthesuninCL !!!

~Mary Jane (in Clear Lake)

Here is a link that might be useful: PSA

• jandey1
    12 years ago

Mary Jane, thanks for letting me know about the August sale! Yes, Katy is a bit easier to get to for a one-day trip. You're very fortunate to be so near the Willis place. I hear they're lovely people--do you know if they're related to Brad?

12 years ago

Hey Jen...when u get the info on the sale..will you forward it to me?

Thanks so much!!!

Laura in VB

• jandey1
    12 years ago

Absolutely, Laura. I'm just checking the PSA site, but will also call in July to double-check. There's a plumeria called Heirloom that sounds amazing and I think is only available through a PSA member in Houston. Like I need another plumeria!

• ladyver
    12 years ago

I had to revive this post....my first blooms of the season were about 3-1/2. I took a pic of what mine looks like today, but they were slightly bigger last year. This plant is in the ground, and it makes a HUGE difference.
    {{gwi:1167647}}

• ladyver
    12 years ago

Drat, apparently I forgot how to post the image. This is the best I can do tonight without throwing the computer out the window:

Thornton's Lemon Drop