SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hot_pooper

beginner to planting peppers indoors...need help!! lol

hot.pooper
14 years ago

I have a post that is similar to some, but a little different...HOPEFULLY this may help some other beginners as well.

I started some seeds indoors for the first time, In Jan. (I live in the mountains of N.C.) I am using a little Jiffy dome thing. Im not using the one with the peats, as I was told that using a starter mix was better. They sprouted up fairly quickly, but didnt seem to grow too quickly. So, I ended up transplanting them WAY too soon, and they have all now officially died. So, I am trying this for the 2nd time this year.

Someone suggested soaking the seeds in water overnight before I actually plant them. I did so, and they just about ALL have sprouted within a week. I was ALSO told to poke some holes in the plastic because the plants need to breathe. I dont know if they BOTH worked, or if just ONE of them worked. But, like I said, THIS time the seeds sprouted in about a week.

Also, last time, I put them under a grow light, but was told that I had them too far away, and that I needed to keep them 6"-10" from the light. Let me tell you...HUGE difference. I can just about see them grow. lol

I decided to set them out in the sun today, since we have been having such good weather. Well, after I came back home after a few hours, it looks like I had MURDERED some of the seedlings. Most of them started popping back up within an hour or so. Some, I am afraid, may not make it.

Here are my questions...I would LIKE to plant them straight to the ground once they get their 2nd set of leaves. It will be May by that time, and the weather will be steady by then. Do ya'll think that would be too soon? I have PLENTY of 3" pots, so that wouldnt be a problem.

Also, when I DO transplant them outside, either from these starter pods, or from the 3" pots, isnt there a "weaning process?" Dont I have to set them outside, but in the shade, for a week or so, and THEN put them in the sun?

I am pretty much needing some suggestions on what to do now that all of my pepper plants are now seedlings. My soil has already been prepped, fertilized, tomatoes have been planted and are now popping up, and JUST planted some onions and cilantro. (I make home-made salsa, and sell it to some local folks.)

ANY other suggestions would be VERY appreciated! I dont know that I have the patience to start this over again for the THIRD time this year!!

Thanks!!

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor