SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ilene_in_neok

Moon and Stars Melon

ilene_in_neok
14 years ago

Somebody on this forum is growing these besides me this year but I can't remember who.

If you (or anyone else on the forum) have eaten Moon and Stars, I'd be interested in your opinion.

As you may or may not know, my Moon and Stars made a great start, and then something started eating on them. I'm not sure but I think it might be sowbugs and/or slugs. They leave lots of black smutz behind and they generally attack the fruit while it's still small. I've found a few baby fruit that had been raggedly "peeled" completely. Some of the leaves were getting brown and kind of crispy around the edges.

I had one melon that got to be about the size of a large grapefruit -- only elongated some -- and it had a wound near the stem. Today as I was checking it I noticed the stem had rotted. So I took the melon in and cut it in half.

The inside was yellow. It wasn't a real dark yellow, but it had a faint tinge of pink in one spot. Well, I grabbed a spoon and dug in. It smelled like a melon should, and I figured after all the worrying over it that I had done, at least I ought to be able to taste. It was slightly sweet, pretty watery (hence the name watermelon, tee hee), lots of immature seeds in every bite. Not very good flavor. Out of the whole melon there's probably a tablespoon of brown, possibly mature, seed, which I picked out. If the seed had all matured, the melon would've been practically all seed.

It was my understanding these were supposed to be really, really sweet. And I guess I was expecting them to get bigger, and for the rind to turn blue when they got ripe, rather than staying green with yellow moons and stars, and for the meat to be red rather than yellow. So ARE they, when grown successfully, sweeter and bigger? Is there another variety that turns blue when ripe and has red meat, or did I just dream that up?

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!