SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cjohansen_gw

Black spots - sunburn?

cjohansen
11 years ago

A couple of weeks ago I decided to do a small experiment: pot one of my healthiest Jalapeños into a big-ish pot. It's so big that it doesn't fit in my grow frame, but luckily we've had good sun during the day for some time now, so I moved it permanently to the kitchen table. Here it enjoys full sun 6-10 hours a day (depending on whether or not I am home to move it throughout the day).

I noticed that the plant has developed lots of dark spots on its leaves. I'm a total beginner, so this may mean nothing. But I'm curious if it can be either sunburn, or too little light (like I said, as little as 6 hours of direct sunlight). Or some deficiency of some sort.

One of the lower leaves on the "sick" plant:

{{gwi:1164226}}

One of the top leaves:

{{gwi:1164227}}

Some leaves on another Jalapeño that was sowed on the same day. It's received the exact same treatment, except it's in a smaller pot and mostly gets artificial lighting. However, I do put it on the windowsill as well almost daily. When I do, it's there 7-8 hours, enjoying full sun (through the window).

{{gwi:1164228}}

The two plants, side by side (the right one being the spotty one):

{{gwi:1164229}}

The healthy-looking plant is subjected to a fan on a semi-regular basis, the spotty one is not. The spotty one has sat through a little bit of draft as the porch door has been open on sunny days, but it's never gotten very low temperatures.

What say ye, people of vast experience?

Comments (15)

Sponsored