SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gladys47_gw

Hollow stem-planted plumeria

gladys47
16 years ago

I have several plummies planted directly in the ground in my flower beds.This is good, well amended soil.Lots of Lots of garden soil that I bought by the trailer loads, composted with horse and rabbit manure. My point is everything grows really well in it.I had 1 plummie that had grown in its pot at a 90 degree angle but had an inflo from last year. I wanted to cut but after I gave the inflo a chance to open. Never happened and I (thankfully) got impatient.So I cut off the angle and made 2 cutttings which are rooting now. Nice good looking cuttings.The next day I went out to put caulk on the tip of original plant. It was leaning a little so I was going to straighten with a stake and p.hose. It just snapped of at the ground!!!! It wasn't rotted tho. It had a hole up the center. Dry brown hole.What could have happened? we did have the cool snap in late March with heavy rain. It didn't get THAT cold tho and this is VERY well draining soil. My DH is getting very into flowers and without me knowing planted mammoth sunflowers in the darndest places.1 on either side of this plummie. Being patient with his learning I have just been letting them bloom and pulling them up.Could the sunflowers somehow have caused this? I got this plant at a swap last fall. It looked healthy.Put in the bed in the spring.Any ideas. I really want a plummie in that spot. Should I treat the spot before I plant another? I am trying to fill all my beds with easier stuff, and less stuff I have to crawl on the ground for due to back problems.I am stumped as to what happened.My yard is full Texas sun but it was planted before the sun got atrocious. Please offer any ideas about possible problems before I replant with another. OH, was fertilized twice with bloom booster in last 30 days. God help me if he decides to start helping me with the orchids! (really I DO appreciate his wanting to help.)

Thanks, Gladys

Comments (2)