SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
scottokla

Blueberry report for 2009

scottokla
14 years ago

I have posted some of my blueberry experiences in the past. I should have done this one a month ago when harvest was complete, but I still remember most of the details, so for those of you interested in my latest update, here goes:

I have 40 bushes of Northern Highbush blueberries. Of those 40, only about 25 are of producing age. Those 25 were planted in either 2006 and 2007 as two-yr-old potted plants. This is the first year I have had a good crop.

Dukes started maturing first (about June 5). I have 6 remaining Duke plants out of 8 I put in the ground in 2007. They made about 5 lbs per plant this year, but this is not really good news. The first part of the harvest of these had average tasting berries (many tart), the last half had no taste whatsoever and I froze a few and threw out the others. They were not worth the work picking. The plants still appear healthy despite what I think was an excessive crop load.

At about the same time as Duke, my 3 Berkeleys (planted in 2006) started maturing. The taste was better then the Duke (which was not the case last year) but still only above-average, not great to me. The plants are the healthiest and prettiest in fall of any of my varieties. I got about 3 lbs per bush.

About a week or two after Duke, the Bluecrop (6 bushes planted in 06 and 07) and Bluerays (6 bushes planted in 06 and 07) started ripening. Almost all of these were amazing as far as taste and appearance goes. The exceptions were one Blueray bush that is very unhealthy and a couple of Bluecrop bushes that had very little leaves because of the overwhelming number of berries. The berries on these bushes had a bad taste or no taste. I actually pulled of most of the berries before they ripened on these and at the end of harvest the few that were left had a good taste. I got about 3 to 5 lbs of berries per bush.

Once July got here, the Elliots (planted in 07) started ripening. They had an above-average taste, some tart. They made 1 to 2 lbs per bush. The harvest ended by the end of July. The Elliots have an growth habit that I don't like as much as the others, plus the berries ripen at a time that you can get cheap berries in stores. Also, the plants need better care than others because the berries expand and ripen in much hotter and drier conditions than the others.

In summary, the Bluecrop and Bluerays are my favorites, but I have a new fondness for the Berkeleys and might tend to recommend them to people who want only a couple of plants in the garden since they seem to have no weaknesses. Duke has dropped down to the Elliot level and I will not plant more of these. I guess this is to be expected since the strength of these is that they are very early (Duke) or very late (Elliot) whereas the others are midseason and popular for taste and appearance reasons.

I don't know anyone else personally who has succeeded growing blueberries in their native soil around here so I think my success so far is due to strictly following the advice of "experts" and using heavy amounts of peat moss along with specific mulches and fertilizers. I'm always worrying that mine might start dying at any time when they outgrow their artificial peat moss soil, but so-far-so-good.

Another few things I have learned are that (1) good pruning may reduce your number of berries, but not your overall harvest; (2) almost nothing bothers my blueberries and they are a great crop for organic growers as far as pests and diseases go; (3) they are hard and expensive to grow (outside of item 2) so be ready for it - everything you give them is artificial to get them to do well here; (4) Bluecrop and Blueray rank above even peaches, pecans, raspberries, and watermelons as the best-tasting crop in the world; (5) Lowes has given me the best berry plants overall. In 2008 they had strange (to me) varieties, but in 2006, 2007, and 2009 they had good selections and very healthy plants at decent prices. I also got some good ones from a couple of other sources.

If anyone has any questions, I will do my best to answer them or point you to the places I got my info. I am not an expert by any means, but I know a lot more than I did a few years ago. Blueberries are in some ways very easy to grow here and in other ways very difficult. There is a lot of stuff I would recommend but it would take too long to type it all out and a lot of it is just repeated from other sources.

Comments (8)