SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kevabear

Flew the coop

16 years ago

Well I got some lady bugs, waited untill dusk, and put them on my Desert Rose. A little later that evening I checked and they seemed to be all doing well on their new flower. In the morning they were all still there too. A lot of them anyway. A lot later in the day I checked on them and there was one. Not a bunch, not a few, one. All of the little buggers that I purchased the lady bugs for are still there. So please do tell, what I did wrong?

Lauri

Comments (20)

• 16 years ago

Lauri,

This is the first time that i hear that lady beetles did not do their work,so if they don,t eat the little buggers than they are another kind of insects.
    Maybe someone else have suggestions.

greetings,Michael

• 16 years ago

That's odd. I've never had the ladybugs leave until they ate all the aphids or any other small soft bodied insect. Have you sprayed the plant with an insecticide in the recent past? That's the only reason I could think of as to why they'd leave.
    Karyn

• 16 years ago

Nope, Haven't sprayed it with anything. I was wondering if it was because during the day the plant is in direct sunlight and maybe they prefer shade. I stopped on the way home this evening and bought some more and will put them out on the plant this evening. Hopefully by tomorrow someone will have a clue as to why the flew.
    Another question. I dumped them all pretty much right on the flowers. Is that what I should do, or should I put them at the base of the plant so they make their way up?
    Thanks for your thoughts, Lauri

• 16 years ago

How many are you buying at a time? The least I've ever seen in a container is 1000. I've always just dumped them on the plants but it's been more then one plant. I spread them around the garden. Maybe by putting them all on one plant there's too much competition and they fly away? I really have no idea, just guessing. Good luck.
    Karyn

• 16 years ago

It says there are at least 1500 lady bugs in there. Sheeesh! And there didn't seem to be any dead ones in there either. Amazes me. That's a good thought Karyn. I'll spread them out a bit on other near by plants. It did seem like an amazing amount on one plant. Have the plants you put them on been in full sun during the day?
    Lauri

• 16 years ago

Hi Laurie,

If I remember correctly, I think youÂre supposed to water your plants well at dusk, making sure the foliage is wet, then spread the ladybugs over the plants. The bugs will settle down for the night and reassess their situation in the morning. Most of them will then fly away, but if you are lucky, some of them will lay eggs in your garden so you will have their larva taking care of your aphids for the rest of the season. In the past I have found and transferred larva to planters with an aphid problem.

Philip

• 16 years ago

Hi Philip.
    what does the larva look like? I have thought of doing this also. I am daily cleaning bird droppings, which I do not appreciate off my plants. They fly to the orange tree, drop, then go to our bird feeders! If had larva would not want to remove that. I have two busy little lady bugs.
    Karen

• 16 years ago

Hi Karen,

Here is a link to some pictures of them. A good place to find them is in the nasturtiums that grow wild in California. Nasturtiums are aphid magnets and often there are ladybug larvae in the nasturtiums as well.

Philip

Here is a link that might be useful: Ladybug Larvae

• 16 years ago

I put them on plants in full sun, partial sun and shade. I also use ladybugs in the greenhouse. I also use mantises and lacewings but the ladybugs are the best for aphids. I've never bothered watering prior to releasing them. I try not to water at dusk because we have so many fungus problems here. I have a huge Curly Willow in the front yard that the ladybugs seem to favor for laying eggs so I always have a good supply. I think the larva might eat more aphids than the adults. The odd thing is that I've never seen an aphid or any other insect besides the ladybug larva on the willow.
    Karyn

• 16 years ago

Released another batch of them last night and I see this evening they are almost all gone again. Not quite sure what to do. Dissappointing because I really liked the lady bug method. I'll probably give it another shot.
    Lauri

• 16 years ago

hello, Lauri, I don't know how big your plumie is: but if it "small" enough, perhaps it can be covered with a large clear plastic bag, release the lady bugs into the bag and tie the bag around the stem like a balloon. you can use a straw and blow air to inflate it. just a thought.

Sue

• 16 years ago

Well that is an interesting thought Sue. It's a fairly tall Desert Rose, however I'm thinking a garbage bag might be good. I wouldn't tie it tight....Hmmmm....Something to ponder.
    Thanks for the thought, Lauri

• 16 years ago

Lauri, if you try the plastic bag method be sure to move your plant out of the sun or you'll cook them! Ladybugs won't stay were there is too much competition for food, the vast majority of them will fly away unless confined. If confined you really have to watch the food source and then release them once it's gone. The larvae as other's suggested is the ideal route to go, start looking for them around the yard with that many ladybugs released you're bound to find some soon! good Luck
    chaz

• 16 years ago

Yea I got to thinking about it and came up with the idea of some sort of netting instead of a plastic bag or garbage bag. I thought too of how hot it would get under the plastic. What does the ladybug larvae look like? I'm fairly certain I wouldn't know it if I saw it.
    Thanks bunches, Lauri

• 16 years ago

For aphids and scale I use water and Murphy's oil. It took about 3 days of spraying to get rid of them. You can also use water and dish soap. That was on my big hibiscus.
    My little desert rose is bloomin now, I love it!

• 16 years ago

Well shoot, Missed that one about the Murphy's oil or water and dish soap. Went and got some more lady bugs, and these funny little mosguito net hats. I moved the plant so it's not in a lot of sun so I don't cook the little buggers. Will mist them later to give them some water. And then we shall see what happens.
    Lauri

{{gwi:1163667}}

{{gwi:1163668}}

• 16 years ago

I'm glad I saw these postings--I've killed two bugs that were at the base of one of my plumies, and until just now after looking at pics of ladybug larvae realized they were indeed ladybug babies. Boy do I feel bad! At least whats left will not be killed.

Thanks
    Randy in Savannah Z8b

• 16 years ago

Laurie,
    I have a spray bottle for windex, (empty of course) put 1 tsp. Murphy's oil, 1 tsp. dish soap (not antibacterial) and fill up the bottle. Spray early morning or put the plant in the shade.
    Let me know if this helps.

• 16 years ago

hello, Lauri, you are right. the netting would be better than plastic. hope it all works out for you: your desert rose looks so beautiful.

sue

• 16 years ago

Well I do believe I will be going and getting some Murphy's oil. Got home this evening and checked in my little nets and could only see three lady bugs. There were quite a few more than that this morning. I have not a clue how in the world they got out since I closed it up very securely and the holes in the netting are so small. So I will definitly do the oil and detergent misting. Thanks so very much for the info.
    Lauri

Sponsored
A.I.S. Renovations Ltd.
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars15 Reviews
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County