SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
peppermike_gw

issue with 72 cell tray

peppermike
17 years ago

I'm wondering if anyone else here has had this same type of issue. Last year I thought maybe it was something I did wrong but this year the same thing happened. Not that it's impossible that I did in fact screw up two years in a row but it seems too coincidental. This is my second year starting from seed.

The issue is this. When I fill the bottom of the cell tray with water the outter trays tend to get damp and as I get to the middle of the tray I see more and more cells that are bone dry and have to constantly be watered individually. Not everyone but certain cells that tend to always be dry no matter what. Is it a quality issue with the trays like where some cells are elevated high enough that they get little to none of the water in the bottom and the onesthat sit lower get the majority? I had assumed that it was non level issue because the shelf isn't the most sturdy. So this year I used a level to make sure and the trays are sitting level but still get this issue. The seeds in those cells either don't sprout, die early, or are very hard to keep from drying out. There have been more than a dozen fatalities due to the drying out issue. Some are in sad shape and might make it. Others never had a chance. The rest of my seedlings are thriving. And will soon find their way into larger homes.

I won't be hurting for seedlings though as I have 141 healthy little ones. I'm just stumped at why this same exact thing has happened two seasons in a row? Anone else have this issue or know how to fix it?

Comments (17)

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor