SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jcash_gw

Looking for large Windmill palms

jcash
15 years ago

I'm looking for some large windmill palms. I live in Clemson, South Carolina. If anyone knows where they have some please let me know.

Thanks

Jcash

Comments (43)

• frmmi
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

collectorpalms on ebay sells 15 gallon ones for 100$ plus 60 shipping. I got one on the way, cant wait to get it in the ground.

• josh_palm_crazy
    15 years ago

Chilly Palm Tree Co. Check out their website at the link provided below. What part of SC do you live in? Chilly Palm is in York SC. They do mail order also.

Jay

Here is a link that might be useful: The Chilly Palm Tree Co.

• Related Discussions

very large Trachycarpus (windmill palm) in Oregon

Q

Comments (3)
    I am glad I have a T. wagnerianus in my zone 7b garden. I list two fairly good sized T. fortunei plants that took two to three years of cold and wind damage to give up trying to recover. Plus we had two winters in a row with rain followed by a quick deep freeze in just minutes. Am I correct that stiffer leaved trachies are apt to be more winter hardy? By the way, it appears that my T. wagnerianus has a different crown structure that looks like it will NOT collect moisture the way the now deceased trachies did.
    ...See More

potted windmill and jelly palm question

Q

Comments (12)
    I live on a lake, my deck is directly on the water. Very windy, cold in the winter and hot in the summer. This spring I would like to put a couple of potted palms or other large tropical plants on my deck for privacy and beauty. I doubt any palm would survive the winter, the north wind blows directly off the lake onto the deck. But maybe could take indoors for next winter. Or, do you think Majesty Palms, or someother "disposable" (although I would hate to)tropical plant would survive in pretty much direct sun and wind on my deck for the summer. 6-8 tall and/or wide or so. Thanks for the suggestions.
    ...See More

I saved the windmill palm! And palm ID

Q

Comments (3)
    What wetsuiter said. Even if some fronds may not look the best but are still mostly green, they are probably still doing their jobs and providing the plant with much needed energy from photosynthesis. Leaves, while they are pretty/ nice to look at, are an extremely important organ for any tree/ plant. Leaves also perform sevreal important functions on plants such as respiration and transpiration. If you ever get the chance to study plants / trees and all of their organs that help to make them function you will be amazed at the complexity. The palm you got from walmart, ericthehurdler got it right. Parlour Palm. The scientific name or botanic name is Chamaedorea Elegans. Those are a fantastic family of palms. Chamaedorea Elegans are in fact a SOLITARY palm. The reason they come how you got them, with many plants all clumped together is because growers often just germinate 10-20 or so seeds in a pot, and poof, you have a 'plant'. But, what you in fact have in that pot, is probably 10-20 small individual palms. It is up to you if you wish to separate them out. Often in the past what I have done is separated out the 1-3 largest ones and left the others to grow more. Also another thing that can, and does happen is that some of them may eventually die off. Personally, I find a single one of these palms in a pot by itself more appealing, espeically when they get older. I have a few, and one of them I got from a pot similar to yours. It was the largest, but still a young plant with no trunk. It now has about 7 to 10 leaves, has shed about 6 leaves, and has about 4 inches of clear trunk on it and is taking on the classic palm tree appearance. Mine is about 4 years old now, (the amount of time I have had it) but it is probably more like 6 years old in total. They grow fairly SLOW. They are probably one of, if not THE easiest palms to take care of. Virtually bullet proof. Very hard to over / underwater them, though I would err on the side of underwatering them because they can handle that easily, and also do not need tons of light. You can successfully grow one of these in a north facing window that gets hardly any direct sun with no problem. In fact, since they are an understory palm that grows only several feet or so high on the forest floor, they prefer mainly indirect or very filtered light, and NOT direct sunlight. Direct sunlight can burn the leaves. I have had one burn on me with just one day's exposure to full sun. Also, this palm, and all the other palms in its genus (Chamaedorea) are mainly jungle palms, so many prefer the lower light conditions, somewhat elevated humidity, and fairly warm temps. Definitely NOT cold hardy. That said, there are some that can HANDLE some abuse, and the palm that you have gotten is one of those palms. Anyway Best of luck with both of your palms!
    ...See More

Help with what to do with potted windmill palm in winter

Q

Comments (3)
    I put a large strand of the small christmas lights around my windmill palm in the winter time. These are not led bulbs. they are the small incandescent lights that put out a little heat. I have a remote control outlet so I can turn the lights on and off in the winter from inside the house. I planted the palm in the yard a year ago. It was probably 5 years old. It was getting too big to move inside and I knew I had to do something. Let the palm see some of the cold so it gets used to it. The temp got into the low teens last year.
    ...See More
  • jcash
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi Jay,
    i live in clemson sc

• josh_palm_crazy
    15 years ago

LOL! I need to get some sleep. I guess you put that right in the post didn't you? Looks like you're about 65-70 miles from Chilly Palm. I think it would really be worth the trip. Sean has some really great stuff. Give him a call.

Jay

• frmmi
    15 years ago

His $275 one looks way smaller than the $160 one offered by collectorpalms.

• josh_palm_crazy
    15 years ago

I must be blind but there is no 30 gallon $160 trachy offered by Collector Palms. Those are 15 gallon and are not at all 5ft tall. That height includes the pot. Not to mention those are on sale and will go back up to $250 before shipping. Chilly's palms will stay the same all year. If your little Collector Palms sold a 30 gallon trachy they'd charge $500 before shipping. I guarantee it. You honestly have no argument here. BTW are you looking at the picture of the full size one on Collector Palms? If you scroll down then you'll see the little things you get for $160. This is what you get for $275.

{{gwi:363849}}

A double trunk 30 gallon at least 5ft tall from soil already fruiting monster Windmill Palm. $275.

• nucci60
    15 years ago

Now THAT'S a trachy!

• frmmi
    15 years ago

This is what I got for $160 last year. The stones are a foot long.

• josh_palm_crazy
    15 years ago

AMEN! Thank you nucci. The trachy or trachys in the pictures are owned by The Virginian in Potomac Falls VA. He has a ton of them. Some are really starting to put on some nice size. I forgot to mention the palms sold by Collector Palms (grown down in Texas) don't stand a chance at being as hardy as the Chilly palms (grown in York SC) from the get go. Chilly's are grown in a cooler climate than Texas giving them a better chance at survival in colder winters before they establish themselves. Thats just my opinion. I want it to be said that by no means am I trying to bash Collector Palms. I think they have some very nice palms and other plants. They do a lot of business. However, like a lot of ebay sellers they are a little pricey for the size. Thats just the way it is. You get what you pay for.

Jay

• donray
    15 years ago

Josh, you might want to do some research on Texas weather before you make those remarks.

• donray
    15 years ago

For example, York SC. lowest temp recorded was - 4 degree f. Where I am in Texas, which is a little North of collector palms is -17 degree . Use the weather channel for references! In case you don't know, Texas is fairly large!

• josh_palm_crazy
    15 years ago

Donray - Your right about the type of climate Collector Palms is located in. I jumped to conclusions about that. Like I said I'm not trying to bash Collector Palms. Just the size of their palms for the price you pay. A lot of ebay Palm sellers are located. in south FL, south TX, and south CA. Those palms would not be as hardy as others grown in colder climates. In this case Collector Palms does not apply. Thanks for setting me straight. My beef is not with Collector Palms, it is with ebay palms. Its hit or miss with ebay sellers. Established nurseries have and keep a good reputation with their customers.

frmmi - Is that how the palm looked when you got it? It doesn't look too bad but it does look a little tattered. Is that last year or recent?

jcash - Sorry for messing up your thread. Make your own informed decision. You live in SC so you have a lot of options.

Jay

• JohnnieB
    15 years ago

The hardiness of a particular plant depends on its genes, its size, its health, and how well established it is. Growing palms in a colder climate does not make them any hardier than they would be otherwise.

• josh_palm_crazy
    15 years ago

I disagree. I think if you grow a trachy from seed in a cold zone 7a for lets say 5 years and then grow one from seed in zone 9a for the same amount of time, dig them both up and replant them in that same zone 7a the one grown in 7a would need much less protection than the one grown in a hot house down in Florida. However, I do agree that genes, size, health and being well established are half of what makes up the plants hardiness. I'm just saying I would rather have seed from a trachy grown in northern VA than seed from a trachy grown down in FL.

Jay

• josh_palm_crazy
    15 years ago

John - I just wanted to say I didn't mean to say "I disagree". The things I stated above are not facts. Just a theory of mine. You are definitely right about genes,size,health and establishment. In the next 10 years I would like to do an experiment with my theory. I'll post the results in 2018. LOL!

Jay

• jimhardy
    15 years ago

There is no proof that any of these,bulgaria,greensboro,etc.etc are any more hardy than any other Trachys,as johnnieb mentioned overall health and genetics play key roles,also hardining off period going into winter,I would bet you that almost any Trachy would be killed by a sudden freeze like the one in St.Louis in the early 90s in Nov where temps dropped to -6F.What is as important as any of these,genetics,established palm etc, is what the weather is like heading into winter a gradual cool down is whats needed for palnts to adjust.I wish there was some way to pull up the weather year round for these palms(trachycarpus)where they grow,they endure hard freezes (0F) and snow so what is the big differenc between the weather in winter in different areas around the U.S. and their native land?I mean the people that live in these areas don't go around checking for spear pull and applying fungicide LOL.My guess would be that in mountains where they grow the nights gradually cool and moisture is cut off going into fall and winter,and that days are generally sunny and allthough cold at night days warm up well above freezing,remember that 10" of snow is roughly equal to 1" of rain and being in the mountains snow melts and crowns dry out unlike most northern palces in U.S.where snow and rain can be heavy in winter combined with cold.I believe that palms should be kept dry during fall and winter,and early spring,and given water not only when air temps rise but also as soil temps rise,thats all.

• flattie
    15 years ago

I don't understand the bashing of Collector Palms. If it wasn't for him, I wouldn't have 3 awesome T. princeps now. Aside from CC, you will not find it easily. The guy provides a much needed service; getting more palms out to cold-hardy locales. And Josh, a palm grown in a hotter climate of the same species will often have greater hardiness to cold not less! Just because it grew up in TX doesn't mean it's weak.

• jimhardy
    15 years ago

I think Jay has a appreciation and loyalty to his favorite local nurserys and should!I would love to drive"a few"miles and be able to buy a monster trachy like the pic he posted!However the reality is in Iowa and I'm sure plenty of other places not south of Memphis,for example,we need to resort to mail order and although Collector Palms is not the cheapest on e-bay ,I would match their quality against anyone elses.
    Coconut climber(another excellent seller on e-bay)has some"great"deals on T.princeps,post some pics of yours I'd love to see them!Here is a pic of mine,it has grown almost two leaves since this pic-

• josh_palm_crazy
    15 years ago

Exactly Jim. Lets Change the subject. LOL! BTW my Rose Mallow 'Old Yella' finally bloomed for the first time yesterday. Check these pics out! I'll post more when more buds open up.

• josh_palm_crazy
    15 years ago

Hi guys. I don't want to fight with any of you about this stuff. All in all they're just trees. I have my opinion you guys and girls have your's. If I bought something from Collector Palms I too would defend they're quality and size to the death. I've never bought anything from them so honestly I really cant say anything about them. However frmmi there was no need to say Chilly's 30 gallon monster was small just because you bought a smaller 15 gallon from Collector Palms. I don't even know where that came from. The pictures clearly state the truth. I never would've said anything bad about CP just because I shop at Chilly. Some people on here seem like they're just waiting for the chance to jump in and bash someone else's recommendations just because its not what they did. Sorry if I offended you frmmi, donray, flattie and most of all jcash.

Jay

• jcash
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hey Jay
    I'm not offended here I'm just trying to find a nursery that has good size windmill palm. Like in Greenvile or some place closer to Clemson SC.
    jcash

• frmmi
    15 years ago

I didn't mean to offend. Here's a pic of the size comparison. I guess the one from SC has more height, but paying $160 or $275 is up to the buyer.

• josh_palm_crazy
    15 years ago

frmmi - Again its $275 for a 30 gal from Chilly not a $160 15 gal. Just to make that clear once more. Also Collector Palms sale ends in 2 days and their 15 gal trachys will be back up to $250 before shipping. Anyways its cool. Its over with. I don't think jcash is buying from either at this point. LOL!

Jay

• jimhardy
    15 years ago

Jay,nice mallow!looks familiar?HUMMMMM-

• donray
    15 years ago

Wow, very nice, but going back to the subject of Trachies, and I'm sure Josh didn't intentially mislead anyone but the price of frmmi's trachy was $100. $60 was shipping. The Virginian's trachy was part of a bulk buy with the IPS local chapter he belongs to and did not include any shipping that we were told of. But, lets say frmmi would have ordered from Chilly and had shipping charges included, that trachy could have exceeded $400 easily. Also keep in mind that container size is not always as it seems. We do have a so called "nursery standard" but it really isn't enforced to a specific caliper size with palms. The viginian did get a nice plant, not sure how he feels about everyone knowing its cost though.

• josh_palm_crazy
    15 years ago

Donray - I'm sure the virginian is just fine knowing that I'm sharing this information. We are two of the founding members of the Virginia Palm Society. VPS not IPS. The Chilly Palm Tree Co is the official palm supplier of the Virginia Palm Society. We've seen first hand the quality of Chilly Palms because Sean brought a truck load of them to The Virginian's driveway. So in this case we paid no shipping on the order. If you order a 30 gal trachy for $275 then add shipping the cost would be no more than $375 total for a monster 30 gallon trachy. Donray dont even try to insinuate that Sean from Chilly Palms is going to put a 15 gallon trachy in a 30 gallon pot and charge for the 30 gallon trachy. Sean doesn't rip people off! I planted that 30 gal palm and can attest to its massive size vs anybodies 15 gallon trachy. Not to mention again. In 2 days the sale that Collector Palms is offering ends. The soon to be new price for a 15 gal trachy will be $250 (BEFORE SHIPPING)!

OK Heres The deal

(Chilly Palms) 30 gal $275 + $100 Shipping = $375

(Collector Palms) 15 gal new price of $250 + $100 Shipping = $350

Do I want a 15 gal for $350 from Collector Palms?

Or do I want a 30 gal for $375 from Chilly Palms?

I'm not saying Collector Palms wont give me a quality 15 gal trachy. I'm just saying for $25 more with Chilly Palms I can get a 30 gal trachy That will surely dwarf Collector Palms 15 gal trachys for just about the same price.

I'd also Like to know what Collector Palms would charge for a 30 gal Trachy that could match Chilly Palm's 30 gal size. If its their non sale rate it seems it would be something like $500 (BEFORE SHIPPING)

DOES ANYBODY UNDERSTAND OR AGREE WITH THE FACTS THAT ARE RIGHT IN FRONT OF YOUR FACES?!

• nucci60
    15 years ago

In this particular case, If I could drive a a few miles to look at the palms, compared to getting one from ebay, I would drive to "chilly" and check out his stock. He must have different sizes.I think it just make sense where he is that close.

• donray
    15 years ago

Not I! The cost of the windmill from "my little collectors palm" "(down in texas)" is still $99.00 not 250 and shipping is $59 not $100. That was the question asked and it has been answered truthfully with all costs included, delivered to the front door. Link below for anyone wishing to order.

Here is a link that might be useful: 99$ WINDMILLS

• donray
    15 years ago

Sorry nucci, I was replying to the post previous to yours!

• josh_palm_crazy
    15 years ago

Donray. Look at the link below. Sale ends in one day. Those are the same palms he has for sale for 99 and 100! The ones listed below are $125 and $75 shipping! Why all the different prices for the same palms? Why the different shipping? Sounds a little fishy to me. Its obvious that very soon they will all be $250 (for a 15 gallon) and then my friend the shipping will be at least $100. Why are you trying to deny these facts? I'm not trying to be a jerk but your playing stupid. You get a good deal with Collector Palms if you catch them at the right time of the year. Chilly's 15 gallons are always $125 and they don't have to advertise "Our lowest price of the season".

Here is a link that might be useful: $125 15 Gal Trachy (ON SALE)

• NoVaPlantGuy_Z7b_8a
    15 years ago

You know, Im going to jump in here, and not really to discuss palms at this point, so yes, I am taking this thread off topic for this posting. Ive been posting here for close to 7 years now, and have thousands upon thousands of posts, and were this like ever other MODERN and NORMAL message board, you would clearly be able to see that, (yes that is a dig at the technical archaicness of this forum) so if anyone has any issues with me doing this at this point in this thread, too bad. Youll get over it.

No one here is disputing any facts, its very clear to everyone here, or at least it should be who has gotten what, for what.

Now, onto my reason for jumping in here. I have been posting on this forum since early 2002, and from time to time there have been a few issues between posters. that said, it has been a fairly well behaved forum, for one that is completely UN MODERATED. ( which by the way I think is rather silly to have any public forum that is unmoderated)

Things such as we have seen in this thread happen now and then, and I would suggest to everyone here to stop with the nonsense, and the seeming bashing/ animosity towards other posters. If I were new here and this was the first thread I clicked on, I probably would think twice about joining, let alone coming back. It makes the forums as a whole look rather shitty. Can we PLEASE calm it down in here just a bit?

And finally to Jay,

look, I like your postings and respect your opinions here since you have arrived, you have been a fairy decent poster / contributor. That said, I have observed on several occasions, such as in this thread, where you tend to go over the top, and have either started or been involved in heated threads such as this one. I see a pattern here. It is my advice to you, and my request to you, that you PLEASE calm yourself down. Some of your posts come across rather inflamatory, / bordorline vitirolic/ hyperbolic. I would not be posting this here, if i had not seen this from you in other threads on these forums. Ill give you an exaple of what I mean: To quot you (Josh_Palm_Crazy):

"Some people on here seem like they're just waiting for the chance to jump in and bash someone else's recommendations just because its not what they did."

-------

You say this, yet I have seen on several occasions where you have done exactly this, to other posters YOURSELF. Please, take a bit of your own advice here. You DO realise that you are making yourself look extremely hypocritical here don't you?

Im not trying to be mean to you, or anyone else, but I AM trying to point out some things, as well as to diffuse situations..etc. I am calling you out on this particular thing, because I have seen YOU do this same thing in the past, like I said. Im about the closest thing this place has to a "moderator". ( at least on the forums I frequent) I have dealt with many far worse situations like this in the past on here, even a few where a few posters were banned for life. Im also constantly posting advice / instructions on forum use, etiquette, instructions for posting pictures..etc. Were all here to HELP one another, and part of doing that, at least in my opinion is being civil here, and doing ones part to help other users. This isnt a competition, nor a place to tow company lines. If you have a great experience with a company...great, if you have a negative one.. thats great too.. share all your information / experiences, but please, do so in non condescending, non belittling, and non inflamatory ways.

Now, if anyone is mad at me for my posting this, too bad. Ive been posting here far too long. just because I may speak a truth that may not be the most favorable thing to some, does not mean that its wrong to do. Again, if it upsets someone, im sorry, but too bad.

Now... back to your "comparisons" please. =o)

• josh_palm_crazy
    15 years ago

Your right novaplantguy. I'm sorry. I just got a little out of control on this one to say the least. If there is a moderator here could you please just delete this thread? At least delete it up to the original question. Its gone too far and now after being called out I feel stupid. I'm really not like this in person. I promise I will not be like this again on here. Please forgive me.

Donray - It doesn't matter to me anymore. I'm sorry for getting into a scuffle with you and calling you stupid. I don't want this one thread to effect the way we respond to each other in the future. I hope we can just forget about this and move on. There are a million places to buy palms and this is a dumb thing for us to fight about in the first place. So again, I'm sorry. Truce?

Jcash - I'll google some places close to Clemson and call them and find out what kind of Windmills they have and let you know. This never should've happened to your thread. Sorry.

Jay

• NoVaPlantGuy_Z7b_8a
    15 years ago

Jay:

Thanks for responding, and Im glad you could step outside of things and take a look and see the same things I saw. It takes a better/ bigger man to admit their wrongs. You've done that here, and that is to be commended. No one here is infallable, we all make mistakes and we all have emotions. I just want to try to keep things under control, and for us, as parts of this great online community, and users here, to do what we can to maintain some sort of decorum and peace here.

Unfortunately, there are no "moderators" here. These forums have been the exact same since day one, and have not kept up with the times. These forums are very much "primitive" in as far as what is available for "message boards" today. VBulliten would be a great example of a message board/ forum software that is up to date. In fact there is a fourm that I belive belongs to the University of British Columbia's horticulture / botanical dept, that use Vbulliten and are up to date, if you want to check those out and see just what I am talking about, please google it. Im sorry I cannot remember the exact URL right now.

Again, im not trying to ruffle feathers here, im just wanting things to stay like they fortunately have been for a very long time. Sometimes it amazes me just how "peaceful" this forum has been, with NO moderators to keep things in line. I post on quite a few other message boards, all of which are much more modern, and moderated, and those have gotten far more out of hand than this at times, right down to personal attacks. So that alone is something to be said about this forum here. That just hardly ever happens here, and thats a very good thing.

There has been nothing agregeious here by anyone. My whole point in bringing this all out was to being it all out into light BEFORE bad things happened and emotions got the better of posters. Im not saying that WOULD have happened here, but still.

I truly enjoy EVERYONES posts here, and I can honestly say I would not be the gardener as a whole, that I am today, if it were not for the fantastic knowledge base that is provided by the users of these forums. This truly is a place where someone can come, ask a question, and have it for the most part answered to help them with their problem, and that to me is the absolute BEST thing about this place. Its free help. It is people of like mind and spirit, helping one another out, and not thinking about "what they are gonna get back in return" kinda place, and that is, at least to me, how it SHOULD be.

Lets just move on, and keep doing our comparisons, but lets just temper things just a bit. Sure some here at times might be wrong, and for the most part in the past its been freely admitted. But, lets just accept those facts, not point fingers, belittle...etc, and move forward with the good advice for success we ALL get from here, BECAUSE we all take the time to post our experience here. Sound good? =o)

EDIT: I know there are typos and bad grammar here but it is late at night, and I do not feel like doing the corrections at this point. i gotta go to bed to get up tomrrow. Y'all have a great night!

• jimhardy
    15 years ago

I really wish that I could get a large Trachy,but living in Iowa.....There is really only mail order as an option for me,and I think there are weight limits to how much those poor (mail)package carriers can lift.One advantage to this is, if successfull I will get to watch my palms grow to the size of the palms that jay and frmmi posted pics of so it works out kinda cool.One of the things I love so much about this forum is the imformation that is shared and I think thats all we need to ask ourselves is, are my comments usefull to others?I remember suggesting to some one who wanted to paint the trunks of there palms a different color,that they try it on themselves first,sorry whoever you are ,that probably was not usefull!Anyway,great forum,great people and I am glad they (probably) did not paint their arms as I suggestedLOL

• nucci60
    15 years ago

If this is as "wild" as we get on these forums, I think we're doing very well.Much more polite than some sports forumsLOL.

• oppalm
    15 years ago

after reading this thread I feel like slapping my dog around. Not sure what triggers thread rage but it is entertaining at times. Group hug and we'll all feel better.

Anybody have an idea where I could get a large fat trachy?

• donray
    15 years ago

LOL! How sweet is this? Collector palms have extended their $99 sale through Aug 8th, just for the late members joining this post! These probably won't last long so get em while you can! I swear to you all, I have no affiliations with either palm suppliers. Grow my own! (palms) :)

Here is a link that might be useful: one more week @ $99

• jimhardy
    15 years ago

Those are some damn nice palms!I'm tempted but I have so much to protect already,but it sure would be nice to stick one of those monsters in the yard!I have bought alot of plants off e-bay and I can tell you that 1772 sales(or what ever it is)with 100% positve feedback is pretty much unheard of!Jay don't yell at me,(I know your not going to-LOL) but does chilly palms deliver to Iowa?

• josh_palm_crazy
    15 years ago

Donray - How else are they supposed to get rid of those and I quote "leggy and stretched" windmills? LOL! I'm just messing around. I couldn't resist!

Jim I'd never yell at you. I like you. Yes they deliver. Send Sean an email or call him. 1-888-HARDYPALM (1-888-427-3972)

Jay

• donray
    15 years ago

Jay, he has knocked off $150 though! This couldn't have happened at a worse time for sure. Got your email, just thought of it as a heated debate up to the "playing stupid" part. A little uncalled for, but we can move on.

• josh_palm_crazy
    15 years ago

Yeah. Sorry about that.

Jay

• the_virginian
    15 years ago

Wow, things got a bit spicy on this post! :') LOL. Anyway, I can only tell you that it is a bad thing to pay too much for something, but even worse to pay too little. I have purchased Trachys that were grown in greenhouses and warmer zones that either died or took a few years to start to become hardy in my zone. Compared to those I purchased from Chilly Palm Tree company, that were not babied in a Zone 7b and left outside in the winter in a pot, those have out performed the "grown warmer" Trachys by a mile. They got through the winter virtually unscathed and grow at a faster rate during the growing seasons. I pretty much agree with Jay that for the few extra dollars you get a larger and more virgorous palm for the money. BTW, on ALL of Chilly's palms, the roots had filled the pot and were busting out and were not recent transplants to larger pots. Again, just my experience and I have been very pleased with the results. Plus those 30 gallon windmills and needles weighed a ton compared to any 15 gallon. Just remember, you get what you pay for and hopefully only have to buy it once.

• Gordon Marsh
    8 years ago

I bought three windmill palm trees from Chilly Palms two years ago.I planted them in March.I live in Southern Illinois and they survived the cold winter.-10 degrees and snow.I wrapped the trunks with burlap and covered with straw and a tarp so they wouldn't get wet.Very cold hardy plants from Chilly Palm Trees.They didn't look the best come spring but they lived..Look great now.

Sponsored
A.I.S. Renovations Ltd.
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars15 Reviews
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County