SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
darthbrader

week-old Windmill Palm deteriorating quickly; any suggestions?

13 years ago

I live in downtown Philadelphia and just got a small windmill palm for my back patio just over a week ago. It has significantly deteriorated since then (see pictures): yellowing fronds, brown tips, etc.

Here are the conditions: High temps have been over 100F and it's been extremely humid most of the week. The palm gets a few hours of direct sun in the late morning / early afternoon (the nursery had it mostly shaded). I watered the plant every 2-3 days, when it seemed dry, and in the last 2-3 days we've had a *lot* of rain. I brought it in out of the rain a couple times because I'm suspicious it's getting too much water.

It's been looking worse every day, and quite a bit worse since the rain (suggesting too much water, perhaps). Any ideas? I'm guessing it's either the sun or the water, but how do I tell which? And how do I tell if it's too much or too little water? It seems like it needs a big change, but I'm not sure what to change. Anything else I can do to intervene? Is it worth repotting it to looking at / trim the roots?

Pictures on Picasa:

{{gwi:1150763}}Windmill Palm Photos

Many thanks!

Comments (8)

Sponsored
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery
Average rating: 4.4 out of 5 stars233 Reviews
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery