SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bearstate

Scarification and Sewing Of Cycas revoluta Seed

bearstate
16 years ago

I have 10 of these puppies, as pictured ...

{{gwi:250972}}

They are Sago Palm, 'Cycas Revoluta' seeds. They're about as big as avocado seeds and I just know I need to scarify them prior to sewing them.

Where's the best place to scratch the surface of these puppies?

The seed source only says to let soak for 48 hours and then plant 1-1/2" deep in sand/loam mixture and keep moist, but not too wet. Germination in weeks to months.

Anybody with experience have a guaranteed procedure to get 'em going in weeks instead of months?

Comments (10)

• alex_7b
    16 years ago

Put them in a baggie in the freezer for a couple of hours.

• bearstate
    Original Author
    16 years ago

These aren't Gingko seeds. I don't think they need stratification.

Anyway, it's too late now. I've used a box cutter razor knife to scare the seeds and have soaked them in water with a bit of Giberellic Acid added. They go into pots tommorrow.

• palmfarmer
    16 years ago

we dont do anything to them, we plant them in community beds and leave them..usually 80 to 90 percent germination.

• bearstate
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Here's a follow up on my Sago Palm Seed planting project ...

{{gwi:559953}}

I guess I did something right on these guys.

• topher2006
    16 years ago

Good going bear !
    I have put some yucca rostrata and california fan palm
    and sabals in to germinate a week ago and my cfp are already germinating.

• bearstate
    Original Author
    16 years ago

It's definitely time to sew palm seeds. I planted my first Medjool Date Seeds about this time a year ago and they started sprouting in January and February. Now I've got Medjools in 5 Gallon pots with 6 spikes on some of them.

I've got something like 40 Medjool seedlings in everything from 2 liter soda bottles to those 5 gallon pots.

My jungle is in its infancy, but definitely going strong.

:)

• topher2006
    16 years ago

Yep but just remember there is many secrets to a jungle lol !

• bearstate
    Original Author
    16 years ago

That's for dang sure!

I recently discovered some "Royal Purple" Bougainvillea growing in my garden strip and upon wondering where they came from, investigated to find that 3 old stumps were coming back to life after 4 or more years of dormancy and neglect ( See California Gardening or Tropicals Forums ).

Some of those secrets are just plain amazing.

• topher2006
    16 years ago

I think we are just so obsessed about what we don't have we tend to forget what we do !

• bearstate
    Original Author
    16 years ago

It's not that way at all.

I've been here since April, 2004 and those Bougainvillea have been there longer ... I just didn't know it until they revived this year. That's what is amazing.

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES