SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
don555_gw

How are the cold-climate growers doing, say zone 5 and below?

don555
10 years ago

Yah, I get a bit jealous seeing all those people in warm zones posting their outdoor pepper pics already. So how about a thread for us cold-climate folks?

I'm zone 3, Alberta, and our average temps now should be a high of 50F (10C) and a low of 28F (-2C). I probably won't be able to plant outdoors for another 6 to 7 weeks, though since I plant in pots I might be able to push that back to 5 weeks if I'm willing to move pots to the garage or under the deck if frost threatens... OK, yah, I'm willing to do this :)

Here's what I'm growing. Just a dozen plants -- 7 "Matchbox", 3 "Ring of Fire", 2 "Firecracker". They are all annums I think, with quite a bit of heat for annums (30,000 to 50,000 Scovilles from what I understand). I also have a Naga pepper (not shown in the photo) that I grew under lights in the winter, harvested in February, then moved to a basement window... I hope to rejuvenate this Naga and grow it in a pot outside this summer, but I have no room for it under my lights right now, and it's suffering a bit in the basement window.

Anyhow, my pepper seedlings currently under lights, tranplanted from cell-packs to these 5 cm (2") pots a day earlier. All Matchbox on the left, a mix of everything on the right:

Comments (16)

Sponsored