SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
megachili

Urgent question re: pinching back leaves on seedlings

megachili
15 years ago

Greetings...

We have 72 chile seedline on trays, all in the 2 to 4 true leaf stage. They are on heat mats thermostated 24x7 to 72 degrees, have overhead dual flourescent bulbs on the 16 hours a day overhead, and put them in a mix of coco and a packaged potting soil. So everything is in place the way it should be. At first the plants germinated pretty fast and initially looked strong and healthy. We've noticed in the last 2-3 days, we are getting some very droopy, spindly plants that look like they have overstrained to get to the light source. They are too long, and their stems are not adequately holding up their leaves, leaving several plants too weak to stand up without supports. It's possible the light was too far away, since we have to keep the trays further down from the lights to make room for our fast-advancing tomatoes.

My question is that I want to see if I toughen up the stems and get a more robust lower plant thing going. I've heard that you can pinch back the newer leaves, and that will get the plant to make more offshoots and get thicker and less higher. Can anyone confirm that this works, and perhaps share a technique they use that's successful for doing this? I am very concerned about this, as I have been nurturing and babying these seedlings since they were just little seeds, and don't want to kill or injure any plants in this process.

Also, is it possibe to transplant to a new pot and bury a good length of the stem, in order to give the chile a new lease on life as a non-straining non-spindly thing?

Thanks

Comment (1)

Sponsored