SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
peppermike_gw

Pepper seedling identity

peppermike
16 years ago

I think I messed up on labeling my seedlings.... I've isolated the mix up down to 4 unknown seedlings. I tried to take some digital pictures but the batteries went dead. So I'll describe them as best as I can. Two of them I had labeled Hot Prairie Fire which I highly doubt from the pictures I've seen and other hot prairie fire sprouts are not purple. The third one was labeled Super Chili, which I know is not right. I've grown Super Chili for 4 years now and never had purple leaves. One of the three is starting to form it's first true leaves which will give me a better idea of what it actually is.

This sure has been an off year. Seems like I've made every mistake I possibly could. I will never use those shallow 288 trays again. That's where the trouble started. The trays dried out and were sitting on the heat pad with the dome on and I came home to find nearly all of my sprouts laying on their sides. In a panic I watered the trays generously and slowly about half of them snapped out of it. Slowly but surely I started seeing new sprouts and transferred them as quickly to my 48 cell trays. A small percentage of them died. In my haste to transplant the little ones I realized that I obviously labeled a few wrong. From the original batch of seeds started on April 5th I have a total of 92 seedlings. I started a second batch on April 19th resulting in 21 sprouts so far. Giving me a total of 113 sprouts out of a staggering 740 seeds planted. First batch was 480 seeds (resulted in 92 sprouts). Second batch was 260 seeds (21 sprouts so far).

The bright side is I will have plenty of plants to sell, give away, plant. I've also learned a lot from my mistakes this season and should have at least one of most of the varieties and will be saving seeds this year. With my insane work hours I've just not had the time or energy this year to give it my best effort and yet I will still have a decent crop of plants. These things do happen and it's not the end of the world.

Here's a description of the seedlings in question

1. They stand out amongst the other seedlings as their seed leaves are purple.

2. The seed leaves are long and narrow, very little curve. This leads me to believe they are not Black Pearl as the seed leaves on those are much wider and more rounded.

3. I suspect that they are Aurora which I believe has purple foliage and none of my other seedlings are labeled Aurora.

My Growing list includes:

Bih Jolokia

Lemon Drop

Hab

Caribbean Red

Poinsettia (no sprouts)

Medusa

Jalapeno Early

Serrano

Anaheim

Cayenne

Thai Hot

Thai Dragon

Black Pearl

Red Savina

Roma Tomato

Aurora

Hot Prairie Fire

Super Chili

Apple (no sprouts)

Garden Salsa

Espanola (no sprouts)

Hot Wax (no sprouts)

Tomatillo

Miniature Red Bell

Can't be any of these

Candlelight (second batch of seeds)

Cal Golden Wonder (second batch of seeds)

Georgia Flame (second batch of seeds)

Ring of Fire (second batch of seeds)

Comments (9)

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida