SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_21934719

Which palms have you spent years to find?

User
12 years ago

So maybe there was always a palm that you wanted to add to the collection, but could never seem to acquire. Maybe you grew it at one time but then it died and you've been trying to replace ever since. I thought of this topic as a posting because years ago I had a gorgeous Pandanus veitchi (I know, they're not palms--but they are close kin). Anyway, this thing grew and grew and eventually formed its characteristic stilt roots as it tried to lift itself out of any pot used to hold it captive. I had to have a bedroom corner dedicated to its tropical massiveness. It would eagerly propagate itself constantly by sending up robust pups--stick them in a pot of sandy soil and you've started a new colony of Pandanus. I gave the rooted pups out to friends and acquaintances who would marvel at this tropical, Polynesian wonder and how easy a houseplant it was. Okay, so that was a few decades ago. People move (some die), friends and acquaintances come and go, eventually my mother plant died and I did not have any offspring (big mistake). Pandanus would eventually DISAPPEAR from the houseplant trade (and my growing private collection)--I don't even recall seeing them sold in South Florida nurseries (and I think I must have stopped in every Lowe's and HD between Miami and Key West). I think they went out of style because contact with the spines on the leaves can result in some skin irritation (but so can cactus and they're still around). The ones being sold on eBay I would come to learn were not the same species, or did not have the characteristic spines, cream-colored variegation or even robust growth and hardiness, as the variety with which I was familiar. The plant I used to grow even acquired nostalgic value. So, I was just thrilled when I got home today and found one very healthy, cream-color variegated, spiny specimen. Only, NOW can I spend the weekend in 'my own private Hawaii'. So, which palms (or related kin) have been obsessed in acquiring?

Comments (13)