SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
disneyhorse

Plumeria newbie

disneyhorse
11 years ago

Hello all!

Every year I choose a new plant to obsess and learn about. I've done everything from coleus to hybrid tea roses. I don't have a lot of time because I work full time, have two year old twins, and a horse which is also my hobby.
I've never taken much interest in plumerias and didn't really understand the price or attraction of them...
Our next door neighbor has a very large plumeria (white with yellow) and it often hangs over our fence. Two years ago I pruned it back and my mom and grandmother freaked out that I was going to throw away the "cuttings" and they rooted ten of them. What are you going to do with ten white trees I wondered?
Last year, my grandmother moved out of her house and had to downsize to an apartment. She loves plants (maybe I got my green thumb from her) and was devastated that she had to leave behind a large pink plumeria in the ground. She had always tried to root cuttings from it but never got it to work, even with rooting hormone or whatever.
So that brings me to this year. I discovered a half-rotted bucket of cuttings from my grandmother's pink plumeria in a bucket taken right before the house closed escrow. Someone had poached the rest of the tree to a stump.
My mom was commenting that she should plant the cuttings but that they probably wouldn't root anyway. Three of the cuttings looked like they might have a tiny spark of life, and I thought "Challenge accepted!" And I claimed them for this year's learning plant.
In the two weeks since I've potted them, I've bought JL Pink Pansy and Waimea seeds (to try my hand at seedlings) and a couple rooted plants from "Fuzzy" in Honolulu. I want to use the white cuttings we've got rooted as my test subjects for learning to graft since I've never done it.
I'm sure I will have lots of questions for you... Two weeks ago I didn't know what the heck an "inflo" was or where to get perlite from...
I'm kind of interested in finding someone nearby to get fresh cuttings for grafts since they've got to be very fresh I think?? I've scoped out some trees in the neighborhood but I'm afraid of being creepy knocking on a strangers door to ask for a piece of their tree...
Thanks for your time!

Comments (10)

Sponsored
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery
Average rating: 4.4 out of 5 stars233 Reviews
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery