SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
devilwoman_gw

The dogfights in my backyard last week

devilwoman
14 years ago

This is my first ever attempt at making and editing a video. It was recorded with my digital camera, a Sony P200 through my dining room window, which didn't help the quality a bit. The editing is also not great, but I wanted to pull out all the parts with nothing much going on. The sounds are me in the kitchen (I had no idea it would pick up that well!).

Now for the story. As I'm sure most of you know I only bought this house (my first!) two years ago. Last summer, probably in August, hummingbirds showed up in my backyard. I'm not really sure of the timing as the first picture I got wasn't until September. Every time I tried to snap a photo they'd fly off just as I got the camera ready. So they were here for a while before I got the first picture which has the date on it.

I put my feeders out several weeks ago, but really all that happened was I filled feeders, dumped them, washed them, refilled, etc. over and over with no signs of hummers. Sunday, August 16 they came back! I was watering the flowers behind the house with a sprinkler and letting the sprinkler hit the lower portion of the rose of sharon as well. I looked out the window and saw a male cardinal in the rose of sharon shaking water off his feathers and preening. I have no idea whether he got wet on purpose or by accident. As I watched him I saw a little ruby-throat fly up to within a foot of him and just hover there. After a second or two the cardinal flew to a perch higher in the rose of sharon. The hummingbird followed him. After a second or two the cardinal just left completely.

The next Sunday I noticed a little hummer perching in the pink crepe myrtle. He would sit in the exact same spot and survey my yard. Whenever another hummingbird entered the yard he chased it off! I called him my little sentry. The same thing went on the next evening, Monday. At my sister's suggestion I got the camera out and the old tripod I bought years ago for my 35mm and set it up at the dining room window. This little guy was here from Sunday through Friday morning. He didn't seem to stay the night as he always flew off just before dark, but he came back early each morning after the sun was up but before I left for work. Friday morning he was at his "station" before work, but he was gone by the time I got home Friday evening. I guess he decided to follow the cold front south.

The video is put together from nearly an hour of recording done Tuesday evening and around 30 minutes done Wednesday. I finally read the camera instructions a bit Wednesday and found how to change the resolution so Wednesday's is a bit better resolution than Tuesday's. The final video clip is just under six minutes so obviously what you see took longer to occur than the clip makes it seem. I didn't think anyone wanted to see my backyard with nothing much going on.

If anyone has some good suggestions for things I could do, plants I could add to the yard to try and attract these guys' attention earlier in the year, I'd sure appreciate it. Come summer I have two crepe myrtles, one pink and one red, and a rose of sharon not more than maybe 15 feet from the crepe myrtles to get their attention. I'm pretty sure my visitors at this time of year are migrants making their way south from further north, but I'd love to see these little guys starting in spring rather than waiting until August.

Link to the video below.

Debra

Here is a link that might be useful: Hummingbirds

Comments (10)

Sponsored
Castle Wood Carpentry, Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County