SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ehsteve

Seed Starter Kits for Peppers

ehsteve
12 years ago

Hi, as you'll quickly work out from my questions I'm a first time pepper grower and am attempting to get a jump on the growing season by starting from seed indoors and growing the seedlings with lights before transferring outdoors.

I'm growing banana peppers and bell peppers.

1. I'm set up with a Burpee seed starter kit, it's got a small reservoir and is self watering. The seed pods are some kind of organic mix with perlite (I think). I know peppers need relatively little water and overwatering them isnt good. Does the same apply to the seeds? In the starter the seedling mix looks pretty damp - I'm worried I'm killing the seeds with too much water.

2. The ambient temperature in the room they are in is about 70F. Should that be warm enough or would they require additional heat to get started? What is the coldest they can be?

3. Light! Do they need any before germination? None? Lots? Will a grow lamp lighting them up before germination be bad or will the extra heat help them out?

4. Light! (part 2): Assuming they germinate, can I just leave the grow light on 24/7 or will that leave them with too big an adjustment when I more them outdoors (into a SWC on a rooftop terrace).

Thank you in advance for helping a noob gardener out.

Comments (8)

Sponsored
Trish Takacs Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars36 Reviews
Award Winning & Highly Skilled Kitchen & Bath Designer in Columbus