SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gamebird

Coyotes have begun to eat my melons!

gamebird
14 years ago

I suppose it was just a matter of time, but it's disappointing. There might be deer helping them out or rabbits, because the sweet potato vines have been taking a beating with leaves being eaten.

Yesterday I had a chunk of my biggest, not quite ripe cantaloupe eaten off. I thought the tooth marks fit a deer. Maybe a rabbit. Today I had another cantaloupe savaged, again looked like deer teeth. There was a watermelon that clearly has coyote teeth marks in it. Not very deep, so I think that melon will recover and go on to ripen. Assuming they don't continue mauling it. Another watermelon also suffered coyote attention and I doubt it will make it. It was entirely unripe. They pulled a fist-sized acorn squash off and chewed on it a bit before leaving it. And there was a muskmelon off the vine, laying in the path without a mark on it.

I can't think of anything much to do about it. I suppose I could piss in a cup and spread that around at the edge. Or stop by the hairstylist and see if I can get some hair. I know that building a fence is the only sure cure. I'll dream of that for the future. :(

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville