SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
blazepepper

First Timer, Peppers from seed questions

16 years ago

Ok, so I decided to try some peppers from seed for the first time this year. I grew peppers from seedlings last year, and fell in love with it. I can't wait to get them in the ground again this year. I purchased 3 Jiffy peet pellet green houses and have started some giant jalapeno, poblano, and several different bells. I followed the directions and have kept them sealed and on top of my clothes dryer. 10 days have gone by and I'm happy to say I now have about 7 or 8 (of the 36) sprouts now emerging. Here's where I have a couple of questions. #1, The directions said to water when the peat pellets got light brown rather than dark brown, well, they really haven't gotten any lighter and the roof of the green houses is still extremely wet. When will I know to water them, and how much? and what is a good method? should I get a syringe, or spray bottle, as to not over water?

#2, if I understand correctly, once they start to sprout, i am to loosen the lids, and once they all sprout, remove the lids completely and get them to a window sill with good

sunlight. Question, how long do I keep them there, and when and how do I know when they are ready to transplant into the garden outside?

#3, Once they get bigger and outgrow the containers, do I need to put them into small cups, or should I be able to transplant directly from the jiffy greenhouse to the gardent?

I know that was a little wordy, but I'd appreciate any advice here. Hope this finds you all well.

Thanks,

Bob

Comments (17)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH