SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
okiedawn1

How Much More Rain Do You Need?

Okiedawn OK Zone 7
11 years ago

I know that we all are feeling some excitement about the rain that has fallen the last few days, and some relief that at least this rainfall is "a drop in the bucket" that will start bringing us out of drought.

However, we all have a very long way to go before we can really relax and feel like the drought is departing.,

How much more rain do we need?

The current Long-Term Palmer Drought Severity Index Map attempts to show us the answer to that question. It covers general geographic regions so a smaller area within the region may need more or less rain than is shown if that small area has had significantly more or less rain than the larger surrounding region.

Before you click on the link below to see what color/rainfall category your area is in, brace yourself. It is going to take a lot of rain. Also, this indicates how much rain is needed now. For each week that passes without significant rainfall, that number will climb.

Yesterday when it was cool, cloudy and had been rainy, I had the urge to go outside today and plant every square inch of available garden space. Looking at the Palmer Drought Severity Index Map reminded me that if I did that, I'd likely be watering the garden a lot to get those new plants going. So, I'm likely to be more conservative and only plant some of the available space.

Please note this map does not take into account the rain that has fallen in the last week.

Dawn

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:367116}}

Comments (10)