SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
merryheart_gw

Hi ya'll.....gardening? what's that?

merryheart
16 years ago

Hi everyone!

We got to escape and spend two weeks at the lake with the new 5th wheel. It was so wonderful! We had several friends there too and we had a great time. We ate, visited, laughed and then visited and ate and laughed some more...for two whole weeks....

Then back home to face reality again....ugh.

The garden is a mess. I am getting tomatoes on those sorry looking plants. They don't look like they could possibly bear any kind of fruit. I can't understand why such sad looking plants can bear a good tomato. lol

And guess what? Those squash plants I meant to pull out two months ago and didn't because I never did have my gloves with me when I was working around the garden?...well I FINALLY picked a perfectly good squash yesterday! And there are more coming! lol.

There are a few small canteloupe on the plants which came up volunteer in the pepper bed....haha. The ones I carefully planted and tended also have a melon or two but not as many as the volunteer ones....strange.

I am getting some okra and freezing most of it little by little. Since I am the only one who will eat it I didn't plant much of it.

Peppers are doing well but on tiny plants....the peppers bend the poor little plants over if I don't pick some off.

Basil is everywhere in all the beds....not just where I planted it....haha. I let it stay when it come up from seed since everything was doing so poorly in the spring. So DH has plenty of basil.

I have not even had the time or courage to look closely at the flower beds. But the day lilies have stopped blooming and so have my hardy hibicus. I wonder why? I will have to feed them all good and see if that helps.

The crepe myrtles are blooming pretty blooms but need to have a serious trim this fall as they are not doing as good as most all around town.

All in all things are doing okay. It looks more like end of summer or early fall as far as how things are doing in the yard and gardens. But I am ready for it all to slow down. I have more to do than I can ever get done anyway.

I do know one thing...I plan on planting my tomatoes next year in 5 gallon buckets. My camphost friends at the lake have the most gorgeous tomato plants I have ever seen and they are bearing tons of tomatoes! It is amazing how good their tomatoes are doing in those buckets!

She has so many tomatoes that one evening we had home made biscuts, gravy and tomatoes for our supper! hahaha. She needed help to eat up all those tomatoes. It was so yummy too, and I had my home made chow chow to go with them. Also had some chicken for the meat eaters...but I feasted on the biscuts, gravy and tomatoes...haha. I am a country gal you know? (BTW--only five of us were takers on eating gravy and tomatoes with biscuts for supper...some of our friends are not so country as we are..haha).

I had an up close encounter with a bobcat which roams the campgrounds and ignores all the people even in broad daylight! I was walking early one morning alone and came across him hiding beside the road in a culvert. I couldn't see him until I was right along side of him and just a few feet away. I just talked to him making eye contact and not turning my back until I finally got past him. He was not alarmed in the least and took his time getting up and sitting on the side of the road for a while before going off after a rabbit.

Others saw him as well in daylight hours. My friend saw him chasing a deer right on the main road in front of our camp sight...I only saw the deer acting crazy and running back and forth in the road but she saw the cat as well. Another friend had an encounter with him as she walked her Cairn terrier one morning...he came right out from under a trailer. He was after her dog but her dog wanted to go after him so she had a time of it until the cat finally gave up.

And these are supposed to be SHY animals? not hardly!

Hard to believe this is the 1st day of August! Where do the years go so fast? Well at least they go really fast to me once it finally gets warm and I can get outside...the winters are SLOW!

Well I just thought I would jump on here and say hello to you all. It seems a long time since I logged on and posted anything.

Ya'll have a blessed day!

G.M.

Comments (4)