SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
omincorporated

Question about growing without grow lights

10 years ago

Hi everyone! I am new here, sooooo happy to have found such a great and helpful community for a newbie gardener like me.

For the first time in my life, I am living in a place that has some private outdoor space, so I have been experimenting with all kinds of plants, and now decided I want to try my hand at growing some edibles. I am located in Los Angeles - zone 10b to be exact, my apartment is cut into the side of a steep hill which protects my outdoor space from strong winds. The area where I plan on growing my pepper plants is on my flat roof which gets about 6 hours of sun a day (possibly more as the sun gets higher in the sky throughout summer - not sure though as this is my first summer in this apartment). I know this amount of sun isn't ideal but I'm just excited to be playing around in dirt, whether it works or not is less of my concern. Well, that's what I'm telling myself now!

Anywho, I am just now starting some seeds, which I realize now is super late but again, I'm having fun experimenting. I am planning on trying to grow some New Mexican green chiles, and Jimmy Nardello peppers, as well as a few varieties of tomatoes. I bought a heat mat / germination station thing, and plan on starting my seeds in newspaper pots and a mix of peat moss / vermiculate / perlite.

My question is this - as I live in a small apartment, in temperate Los Angeles - will I be able to move the germinated seeds out to my patio rather than keep them indoors under grow lights? My patio receives no direct light, it's bright shade all day, and is pretty well protected from wind. I have very limited funds, and even more limited space, so growing under grow lights is basically not an option for me.

One more small question - should I put any fertilizer in my seedling mix? If so, what kind?

I hope these questions aren't too obvious, I looked through the FAQ and all I could see was how to grow germinated seedlings under grow lights, never outdoors.

Thanks for any help you can provide!

Comments (12)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH