SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dansh84

seems strange

dansh84
14 years ago

This doesn't make much sense to me and goes against everything i've experienced before but my potted peppers have buds on them and i've been hardening them off somewhat slowly for a couple days (as to keep them on the south side balcony during the day at least) but they don't seem like they care. For the first time ever I built a particle board box w/ 4 4' t-5s and a reflective interior w/ a small fan blowing rather hard through vent holes on one side, and out the other to tame the sometimes 85* heat. Eventually they got to tall and I had to crack the "door" (a crappy piece of wood w/ a makeshift handle) to keep it cool enough to not wilt them. anyway long story short I think thats almost to much light and heat cause I quite going so slow w/ the hardening off the last two days and the sun appears to be a relief to them compared to my torture chamber I built. I wont be using a "box" next year but rather pulling the lights out and hanging them instead. they sat out all day both days no problem in direct sun and had only been exposed to the sun for probably around 3 hours in the 4 days before (or so). they perked way up and are doing great. just wanted to share. I def. feel that 2 t5's are plenty! i'll also be going back to t12's next year for MOST of my plants inside, and only using the t5's if I need them, and if I do need them either hanging them much higher or pulling off two bulbs. On the plus side i've never seen a deeper green color from plants raised from lights but I don't think they appreciated those long hot days, lol. Im surprised they didn't grow more stretched as I read heat can do that (but who knows if its true or not). I can manage to get pics if anyone cares enough, but they just look like normal plants. let me know. Anyone else have a similar experience or am I just crazy. hardening off is done for me, that was easy.

Comment (1)

Sponsored