SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
scottokla

Let's talk paste tomatoes

scottokla
13 years ago

The last two years I have become pretty serious with my tomato garden and have started growing many varieties.

Last year I grew these "paste" tomatoes: Roma, LaRoma, and Viva Italia. This year I added Big Mama also. Last year I remember that VI (Viva Italia) had better and earlir fruit, but the plants were not as healthy and did not cover the fruit well.

This year VI has much healthier plants and very nice and early fruit, not to mention very heavy yields. Plus, they last for a long time on the shelf. The only (tiny) negative is that they have more juice than Roma so I can't really add other juicier tomatoes to give my salsa extra flavor (not that it needs it since VI seems tasty on its own).

This year I have really been disappointed with Roma. They do not have a nice feel or appearance and they don't keep as long as VI. The taste is about what I would expect. The LaRoma got a late start but is not much better than Roma. The Big Mamas are very large, but that is the only plus. I have had lots of problems with rotting on the vine and other things. I only end up with 1 out of every three fruit actually ending up good enough to eat.

I don't remember disliking Roma so much in the past so maybe it is weather related this year. I am growing them in two locations right next to VI, and performance is consistent.

I'd appreciate any other opinions on these varieties and comparisons with other paste tomatoes you have grown.

Scott

Comments (12)