SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
greatplains1

Hardy Lantanas

GreatPlains1
10 years ago

I was wondering what lantana varieties have proven winter hardy for you all here in Oklahoma? I am on a serious Lantana kick this year after seeing a large area mostly planted in Russian Sage, Salvia Greggi and Lantana. Really super nice combination and it was blooming like crazy all through the droughts of the last couple years on no supplemental watering in an inferno situation facing south and west.

I snubbed Lantana for years until I saw this untended mess they have growing there, it could use some serious weeding and tending but still......

I got some cuttings off one variety that has obviously been there for years because its so well established and it has skipped over the sidewalk and produced new plants nearly growing out of the concrete. This one has solid yellow blooms but it does produce a lot of seeds that ripen and turn dark, perhaps its 'Gold Mound'? I don't know the type, I thought it was a cultivar except for the number of ripe seeds I saw on it last fall. I thought the cultivars didn't produce these but maybe they do but are not viable? None came up.

There is another one in the same area that is yellow and pink blooming and its very free flowering. Another hybrid type? I don't know. It has a lot more flowers than the wild native one called Ham and Eggs I see around in spots.

I cannot find a source for the Lantana horrida. I was a few days late getting to Bustani this spring and they had already sold out, rats. He said they go fast. I did pick up a Lantana 'Dallas Red' and they said its proving to be hardy there in Stillwater which is further north. It is gorgeous.

Is anyone growing the Lantana horrida and if so, how big does it get for you here? Its the native Texas type, really hard to find in the nursery trade.

I also found the low growing hybrid ground cover types that bloom gold are hardy too. I cannot remember the name but its used all over the place as mass plantings in commercial situations I notice.

Of course, the old reliable but sort of boring Ham and Eggs is hardy, I found one growing wild and even took some cuttings off it too after walking by it for years now without interest in it.

By the way, my poor Russian Sage which is usually a giant monster got almost drowned this spring with all that rain. Looks pitiful, bare branched in many spots and small. Everything on the bottom of my little slope nearly got drowned and some stuff is downright peaked still, I think I lost a couple other semi-desert type shrubs on my inferno strip where its usually very hot and dry, they also still look pretty bad.

Comments (12)