SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mulberryknob

corn harvest over

mulberryknob
13 years ago

Well, we got the corn put up--close to 400 ears, although not all of them were perfectly filled out. Part of the second planting didn't pollinate well and very few stalks this year had two ears. We still got quite a bit in the freezer though.

But the potatoes!! WOW, did they ever produce. From 12# of seed potatoes we dug 218# of potatoes. This year I dusted the sets with sulfur which not only protected from disease but acidified the soil a bit. DH also tilled well rotted oak leaves into the rows. That probably also helped acidify a little. As a result we have more potatoes with less scab than in former years. (Our garden soil has become too alkaline for potatoes to do well in recent years and our potatoes have been scabby as a result.) So we're happy about that.

The first of August I will start the fall garden, chinese cabbage seed started on the porch and Cherokee Stripe Beans directly in the garden. Then a little later will direct seed winter radishes, regular French Breakfast radishes and the lettuce and spinach. Maybe a small patch of turnips and mustard althoug I can't eat too much because of a low thyroid condition. (The year I ate mustard and turnip greens every single day for 6 weeks, I suppressed my thyroid function despite taking my usual morning dose.)

Hope everyone else is having a great harvest.

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Schlabach Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars16 Reviews
Franklin County's Reclaimed Wood Professionals