SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_21934719

Resurrection from the dead

User
12 years ago

One of my big, beautiful windmills seemed to be doomed after last Winter snow, cold, and ice. It had gone through three prior Winters in the ground but last Winter was just INSANE here--especially in terms of deep, long-lasting snow fall and below normal temperatures. Fast forward to Spring and it had most of its leaves blasted, then it had spear pull and two remaining leaves that had some green in them also died. I really thought it was a goner. I had since planted a second large Windmill a few feet away from the one assumed dead and was only waiting for the time to dig out the dead trunk. Today I approached it, and dreading the chore of digging out a dead trunk, I was stunned to see that a new spear is arising from the center! Moral of the story---BE PATIENT! Especially in coastal NE zone 7's the seasons really seem to lag (though the advantage is that first frosts are very, very late in the year). Last April and much of May was raw, overcast and rainy. It takes a few weeks of warmth for these palms to begin to recuperate. You have to wonder how many times people just chuck out these palms (assuming they are dead), when all they really need if some TIME. I am overjoyed!

Comments (16)