SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sflgplume

For fun: my "First Bloomers 2013" winners' board

sflgplume
11 years ago

Greetings to all from Miami-Ft. Lauderdale, where it is currently 54 degrees, heading down to a low of 46 tonight. I am so totally over this annoying weather we've been having this spring, and I know my trees are too. Enough already, sheesh!

I will disclaim now by saying that none of these photos are particularly spectacular. The weather has just been too uneven, lots of cool weather and overcast days...reminds me of the June gloom that y'all in Cali put up with. But I've had three trees bloom now, so without further ado, here are my first bloomers of 2013 (drumroll, please)...

In first place...Kona Candy:

Actually, it wasn't even close--this inflo started blooming at least two weeks ago. Like I said, though, the cool weather has taken most of the luster out of these gorgeous flowers.

In second place, Divine:

These blooms do have a bit more color than this cell-phone photo picked up, but again...meh. Good thing this tree has 5(!!!) more inflos on it LOL With all that said, they're still blooms...and they do smell lovely.

And in third place, Waimea:

This bloom just opened this morning...just in time for the low of 46. Can't wait for more of lovely Waimea, assuming tonight's temps don't cause the inflo to shrivel and drop.

Much more to come this season--I have a ton of new inflos and many of these will be first-time bloomers. I'm psyched!

Lastly, for those of you who are like me in that you continue to buy trees when you run out of space, here is a possible solution. I recently took two plots at a local community garden and moved about a dozen of my trees down there. The garden is in an amazingly beautiful spot only about a 1/4 mile inland from the ocean. And the price, for a year? Five dollah for each plot for a total of $10. Yup...that's right :)

Here are those trees in their new home:

They do have to share with a couple of tomato plants!

Hope you all are keeping the spring snow off your plumeria! I hear that's not too good for them LOL ;)

Greg

Comments (16)