SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
scottokla

Poor man's tomato variety report

scottokla
15 years ago

This is my brief report on the limited number of varieties I tried this year. Maybe there will be something useful in here for some of you, even after reading Dawn's reports. I am not a tomato expert, but here goes anyway.

These I started in early Feb and had in the ground as large plants by early April, although they didn't grow much more until May:

Early Girl - maybe I should call it "Early and Often Girl"; I have 6 plants and they all started ripening the second week of June; they are still setting fruit and I have harvested about 10 per plant thus far; not much taste.

Celebrity - Good production, good size, good plants; they are bigger than usual this year and are still producing heavily; about 6 good ones per plant thus far starting mid-June; taste is average.

Better Boy - Fair production, very good size and not many blemishes; I'm happy with them this year; about 4 per plant thus far starting in mid to late June; I have only eaten one fresh and it was average taste;

Brandy Boy Hybrid - Good production, excellent size of about 1 lb each but with unusual shapes and some blemishes; I'm very pleased with this one; about 4 per plant thus far with a couple more left on each plant; they started ripening in mid to late June; above average taste.

Brandywine Red (from American Seed - Plantation Products cheap packets from Atwoods) - Fair production, various sizes; started ripening in early to mid June, but they are not impressive; somewhat firm and only average taste - not worth growing.

These I started in late Feb and had in the ground as large plants by late April, although they didn't grow much more until May:

Brandywine Pink (from American Seed - Plantation Products cheap packets from Atwoods) - only a couple thus far and only a few more now setting; not enough data.

Brandywine (Ferry Morse seeds) - only a couple thus far and only a few more now setting; not enough data.

Omar's Lebanese - I have 6 plants, but only a couple of tomatoes thus far and they were small; however, I have a couple more left on each plant starting to turn and a few of them are easily 1 lb; not enough data yet, but will have more by the end of the week.

Sprite - tiny elongated tomato that tastes better than Sweet 100 to me, but not quite as productive thus far; after I watered for the first time this weekend, all of the ripening ones split right down the side; I may try it again.

These I bought and planted a couple of each in late April:

Sweet 100 - I'm sick of this one and will not plant it again unless my wife makes me; tastes bad to me and they all split after any rain or watering this year; makes a lot though.

LaRoma - Good and productive as usual; how can one small plant make that many pounds of tomatoes?

Roma - same as LaRoma.

Sioux - Just got my first one this morning and it was small and better than average tasting; only a couple more on the plants; not enough data.

Fletcher - Small plant and fair numbers of fair sized tomatoes; only tasted one thus far; not enough data.

Cherokee Purple - Only harvested one each on my two plants and had to share those with a turtle; a few more are one each plant; not enough data.

Goliath Hybrid - I got a couple very early in June that had set while indoors; only a couple more after that and just a couple still on the plants; not impressed thus far; not enough data.

Mountain Fresh - I got a few early and still have some on the plants; better than Goliath probaably but maybe not as good as Fletcher; not enough data still;

I probably forgot a few other.

All of the ones I planted in late April have just not done much so I will reserve judgment on them, except the Romas which are kicking rear as usual. Not much different from other years, except I will add Brandy Boy Hybrid to my list for every year. Maybe by the end of the month I will be more impressed with some others, but it was just a tough year for them all. We are 14 inches above normal on rainfall since the start of March - you guys know all about that.

Comments (6)