SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
okiefamily_gw

What should I be doing now for the fall garden

okiefamily
14 years ago

This is my first year gardening and I am excited to put my lessons learned from the summer in use for the fall.

I've been reading old posts and such but I can't quite get a handle on exactly what I should be doing RIGHT now for the fall garden. Is it too late to start seeds for tomatoes? Anything else I should be doing?

This is what I plan to grow, let me know if any of it won't work.

lemon cucumbers

kentucky wonder pole beans

sequoia bush beans

snow peas

garlic

sweet potatoes (growing slips now)

cow peas

black seeded simpson

buttercrunch

butternut squash (maybe)

more tomatoes

carrots

chives

I am using "Mel's Mix" in raised beds,(square foot gardening)1/3 peat moss, 1/3 vermiculite, 1/3 compost. In his book, Mel says that's all you need, no fertilizer or amendments, but I have discovered he's wrong, so I'd like any recommendations for amemdments that might improve upon that recipe. I am making my own compost which should help but don't have enough yet for anything other than side-dressing plants.

I am thinking about adding corn meal to my soil because I have had a fungus issue with my green beans.

Also, I haven't yet mastered the mulch. What do you mulch with? When I think of mulch I think of wood chips in bags and I don't want those in my garden,but what else is there? And do you mulch the whole thing or just directly around plants?

Your time and thoughts are very appreciated!

Comments (2)