SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ilene_in_neok

OMG Garden Goodies

ilene_in_neok
15 years ago

That's Oh My GOSH, by the way....

I am finding quite a few green tomatoes with worm holes in them, or spots where a mocking bird has pecked. (We have now put netting over the plants and that seems to have deterred the mocking bird, who was extremely persistent up until then) This affects only a small part of the tomato, but the tomato will rot instead of ripen. Such a waste!

You know I didn't "grow up in the depression", but my mother did, and she was quite a penny-pincher. In my younger days, I had to practice some of her ways out of necessity, because we had two kids and, as the expression goes, "We didn't have a pot to pee in or a window to throw it out of".

So this tomato situation is just really going against my grain. I started bringing them in and cutting the bad parts out and putting them in the 'fridge.

Today, I made a pint plus maybe 1/2 cup more of chow-chow with them, using very few other ingredients. I have already tasted it, and it's yummy.

If anyone else has this problem, here is the simple recipe:

1 and 1/2 pounds of green tomatoes, cored, bad spots and blossom end scars removed before weighing

1 medium bell pepper or enough small ones to equal one big

1 large onion

Chop these ingredients, fine or coarse, however you like them. Put them in a plastic bowl with a lid and thoroughly combine with a rounded teaspoon of pickling salt. I don't think there's a big difference between pickling salt and non-iodized table salt, but someone else can probably say yes or no on that. Put on the lid and put in the refrigerator for 24 hours. Then pour this mixture in a colander and drain. Pour into a saucepan. Add 1/4 cup sugar, 1/2 cup distilled vinegar (here again, if you like a more amber color you could use cider vinegar), a scant half-teaspoon of dry mustard and cinnamon, and a pinch of ground cloves. Bring this mixture to a boil and boil for 15 minutes, stirring so that it doesn't stick. Pack immediately into a hot, sterilized pint jar or two 8-oz jars. There will be a little left over but not enough to fill a jar.

You can then process in a BWB for 15 minutes, but for me, I'm just putting on the lid and keeping in my fridge. The 4th is coming up and it will probably be eaten on that day, on hotdogs!. The original recipe calls for four times as much as in this recipe, but if I wait till I have that many green tomatoes, some of them will have started to spoil.

I am starting to get a few beans. I planted Scarlet Runners and Fortex on one arched stock panel, and Painted Lady and Yard Long Beans on the other. I have yet to see Scarlet Runner or Painted Lady make a bean pod, although they have been blooming profusely. But I'm getting Yard Long and Fortex and have been saving up the small handfuls I've gotten for the last three days. Today I got several handfuls and they all went into the pot together. Oh, yum yum. Nothing like fresh, home grown stuff!

I'm not getting enough ripe tomatoes yet to put in the dehydrator... I'm anxious to try dried grape tomatoes! Have dozens of Roma tomatoes still green on the plant. Dawn, did you say these only "make" once? So then when the tomatoes are ripened and picked, I can pull them out, right? I've been growing my fall tomatoes in cups because I don't have anyplace to plant them yet. I could plant them where the Romas come out, if this is the case.

My plum tree that was loaded and escaped freezing temps this spring, if you will remember, had most of its plums thrown to the ground by the wind. There are still a very few ripening on the tree, but many of them have fallen prey to worms or the birds. Here again, I have been going out and picking what I can and just making puree out of the good parts. That's quite a bit of work considering that the plums are not freestone, and there is a lot of waste considering that the worms do pretty extensive damage. But, I have 3 pints of cooked plum puree in my freezer. I'll probably make jam out of it or maybe some Asian plum sauce, later on.

Gardening can get really discouraging considering that we fight late frost, howling winds, worms, birds, squirrels, sudden scorching temps and what have you. My motto is, never give up and harvest what you can. --Ilene

Comments (3)