SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
drew_2008

Help Me Indentify - Fan Palms

15 years ago

Help Identify

Fan Palms

I moved to this property in Los Angeles (San Fernando Valley) 9 years ago. I am trying to find out what type of Fan Palms I have. There are two different palm varieties that I am inquiring about.

Please let me know what you think they are. Thank you.

The first one is definitely shorter, and a slower grower. In the 9 years I have been living on the property it has maybe grown 3 feet. I would say the tallest one is about 8 feet now.

Their are 4 trees in this group, and they seem to grow in pairs. Each pair seems to have their trunks joined at the base. Coincidence? I will describe the pair in the front, since that

is the one I am attaching the close-up photos of. It looks like maybe one is male and one is female since the flowers appear to look different on the two, otherwise the trees look identical.

Take a look at the photos and let me know what you think. Photos 2 and 3 are close-ups for the palm on the right, and photos 4 and 5 are for the one on the left.

The second set is a cluster of six trees. These are very different looking than the first set of palms. They seem to grow new shoots at the base each year, which I cut off.

The smallest tree of the six is the one all the way on the left. That one is probably 3 or 4 years old. It grew from one of the shoots. To put the tree size in perspective the

wall behind is about 7ft, and the smallest tree's trunk is a little over 4ft, and the tallest one's trunk is just over 10ft. I think the tall ones were about the size of the smallest

one when I moved in 9 years ago.

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Franklin County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living