SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
paradiseplant

Plumerias in the Caribbean

paradiseplant
12 years ago

I've tried to look around the internet (and this forum) to find an answer to this, but to no luck. I moved to the Virgin Islands from the northern US a few years ago and recently got interested in gardening due to the ability to grow practically anything in the near-perfect weather here. I heard Plumerias were native to parts of this region, but when looking at the ones around here, they look very different from the photos other members post. Particularly, most are leafless, or near leafless around the Virgin Islands (or at least the dozen or so I've been able to spot).

Could this be because the ones I see here are in full, tropical sun all day long (too much sun?), or a matter of dormancy (although I can't imagine them having to go into dormancy when the temperature never falls below 70 all year 'round)? It's a relatively dry island too - could it be that?

Reason I'm trying to understand is to get my Plumerias to look more like the green, leafy ones that every here has (they're all so very impressive), rather than the leaf-less ones I see planted into the ground. I've just started, so I have small ones, but wondering what to expect a few years out. Thanks in advance.

(By the way, I have to start getting into photography to send pictures of the amazing flowers, plants, and trees around here; it really is paradise!)

Comments (10)

Sponsored
Buckeye Restoration & Remodeling Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars7 Reviews
Central Ohio's Premier Home Remodelers Since 1996