SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dragonstone

Sago Palm.

dragonstone
15 years ago

My mother visited Florida and then surprised me with a Sago Palm when she came back:

She told me the guy emphasized that it was a succulent and not a palm. I don't know the first thing about this plant. I hit google and it's driving me up the wall.

For people who recognize this specific plant, how should I take care of it? Should I repot it or is it fine? How often should I water it?

Comments (2)

• islandbreeze
    15 years ago

The guy is correct in that it isn't a palm, but a cycad. Some people treat them more like succulents and cacti because of their tolerance for dry conditions, but it is best to water them regularly. It probably doesn't need to be repotted, because they don't have huge root systems, and they grow very slowly as well. However, I would remove the glued-together rocks from the top of the soil.

They like full sun, but make sure to acclimate it first to outdoor sunlight if that's where you plan to keep it. Otherwise, it will get sunburn and the leaflets will turn brown.

Cycads grow in "flushes" where all the leaves come out at once, not one by one. So if it isn't growing, don't worry. Eventually, it will flush a new set of leaves.

Not sure what else I'm leaving out...Good luck with your new sago. Don't expect it to double in size any time in the near future though...that could take years.

• dragonstone
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you so much for your help, islandbreeze.

Sponsored
KA Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading General Contractors in Columbus