SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nickolei

Planting after stem rot?

nickolei
16 years ago

Hey folks,

I'm very much a novice when it comes to Plumeria or gardening for that matter, so please excuse me if I sound "stupid" or redundant.

Here's the situation.

On my latest visit to Hawaii I picked up three cuttings; Neeb's Rainbow, Daisy Wilcox, Plastic Pink. I reviewed information on how to plant cuttings from several sites, and proceeded to plant these and hopefully enjoy some awesome future flowers.

I meticulously planted (Nov 07) them with hopes of success of getting a healthy root ball. Here on Okinawa off the southern coast of Japan, the temperature can get down to the mid 60's on the coldest of days...that being said I didn't think temperature was much of a problem? I kept the watering to maybe once every two weeks since we are in Winter? I thought I saw some growth tips...rich red and looked wet, so I thought I was on the right track?

My wife noticed that towards the area right above the surface of the soil, the cutting rather than being green was dark in color (gray-ish). I immediately assumed this was "stem rot" and unfortunately and sadly was correct (Feb 08).

Researching further, I think I've found my mistake...not enough perlite, pot was too big, and I planted the cuttings too deep into the pot. The pot is 9"tallx9"in diameter.

The main reason I write is that I've since cut off the rotten portions to the point where its white and latex was flowing...I've gone from a 11" cutting to two 2" cuttings and a 4" one...I've let them dry for about a week now. Is it possible to save them or is it a done deal? If I'm able to save them and plant again, do I follow the same steps as before? Due to the extremely short cuttings, I'm assuming I'm going to need some really small pot/cups, rooting tubes? Any suggestions for such short cuttings?

Thanks again, and I hope I can save/revive them?

Comments (3)