SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
stephaniegreig

Main stem of peony tree broke off a few months after planting

stephaniegreig
7 years ago

My husband granted my Mother's Day wish in May of 2014 by buying me a Peony Tree from a local garden. Much to my dismay, about three months after planting, he clipped the main stem with the lawn mower and it broke off. Last year, I was ridiculously excited to see a few shoots coming from the base of the plant (I'm fairly certain I did a few cartwheels at the sight). This year, there is even more. Unfortunately, this was my first peony tree and after researching I'm afraid this new growth is from the herbaceous root, not the Peony Tree root. The plant has now been in the ground almost two years. I went out and inspected the small stump that was leftover from the tragedy to see if it has rotted, but after clipping the surface with a pair of gardening pruners, there is definitely green in the stem underneath. I've attached a photo. My questions are the following:

1. Does the new growth look like herbaceous peony shoots or Peony tree growth? One shoot has a bud on it and the thought of cutting a possible future flower to the ground just because it is herbaceous really bums me out, but I will do it if it means I can eventually have the beautiful, dark purple blossoms I've been longing for!

2. If the shoots are herbaceous and I cut them to the ground, do I cover the entire thing with a mound of soil and wait to see what happens?
Thanks for any advice. Oh, and I realize I need to weed and amend around this poor plant, no matter what its future holds. Sigh.

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living