SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
okiedawn1

Recipe for Candied (Bread and Butter) Jalapenos

Okiedawn OK Zone 7
13 years ago

Carol, Here's the recipe. I got it from JR Slick on the Harvest Forum last year and everyone loves them.

Dawn

BREAD AND BUTTER JALAPENOS (makes about 7 pints)

4 lbs. jalapeno peppers

2 lbs. onions

3 C. vinegar

2 C. sugar

2 T. mustard seed

2 t. tumeric

2 t. celery seed

1 t. ginger

Wash and cut onions and jalapenos into thin slices. (Shortcut: food processor) I'd suggest wearing gloves to protect your hands from the capsaicin in the peppers.

Cold pack jalapenos into jars. (I keep all my jalapenos/peppers in a large bowl with a lid on it until the brine is almost ready, and then pack them into the jars.)

Place remaining ingredients into a large saucepot and bring to a boil. **JR Slick said he makes a recipe-and-a-half of the brine because he always seems to need more than the original recipe, and I have found that to be true, so I do the same.**

Pour hot brine over pepper/onion mix in jars, leaving 1/4" headspace.

Remove air bubbles. Adjust 2-piece caps.

Process for 10 minutes in a boiling water bath.

Yield: About 7 pints.

Carol, These are not the same as the Candied Jalapenos found in stores, and lots of folks posted recipes for those (mostly jalapenos, sugar and water) on the related thread on the Harvest Forum last year. While those recipes could be used for candied jalapenos to refrigerate and eat quickly, none of those recipes were safe for canning because there was no acidifier like vinegar in them and, therefore, a high botulism risk. So, the above is the safest canning recipe for candied jalapenos that anyone could find.

Some people that work with Tim got these for Christmas and liked 'em just fine. Some begged for a second jar.

I'm going to make a lot more this year than I made last year.

My goal is 100 jars. (NOT all this week!) After I finish making salsa this afternoon, I should have enough jalapenos left for at least 4 batches of these.

Dawn

Comments (2)