SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
carsons_mimi

Green Bean dilemma.....need advice

carsons_mimi
13 years ago

This year has been exceptionally trying in my garden. In fact, I consider it a near miracle that I'm still getting a harvest of anything after the heat, humidity, excessive rainfall and flooding.

My current quandry is my green bean crop. I've planted both pole and bush beans in different areas of the backyard. The bush beans in the low lying areas struggled due to the flooding but didn't die entirely. I have pole beans growing on tall grates and cattle panels only in raised beds.

Both the bush beans and pole beans have been hit with some type of disease (possibly rust, possibly something else) that I've struggled to identify when I compare against pics on the web. So we may need to talk in generalities.

I'm seeking advice on what my next move should be. All of the pole beans had some degree of disease. Some died back significantly or completely (romano italian bean, fortex, rattlesnake) and some (cherokee trail of tears) died back but have since started to come back at ground level and the new plants do not look diseased (yet). Some of the bush beans (tavera) look like they have rust; and others (anasazi) seem fairly healthy and not touched by disease. Oddly, the anasazi I received in trade was listed as a bush bean but it has grown much more like a pole bean.

I did treat all the beans with a dose of sulfer (just once) and it seemed to help briefly but some of the pole beans just look too far gone to salvage.... I could be wrong on that and am willing to keep treating if that's the best course of action. They're already established and had grown to at least 7' lengths or more before disease hit.

Now, my questions are:

* since some disease has hit most of the varieties, is my bean season completely over?

* if not, can I replant in the same spot; rip out and replace those that died back completely? I have very limited space so moving elsewhere will be extremely tough. Will the new plants suffer the same disease (now that my formerly soaked soil has dried out) if I reuse the same space?

* can the seeds from the few beans that grew before disease hit be used to replant or do the seeds carry the disease as well?

Are there other factors I haven't considered? I have extra containers/tomato cages that could be used if either the bush beans or pole beans will grow in containers.

The learning curve this year has been quite a painful education. I hope next year will be a little kinder to everyone (especially we newbies).

Thanks to everyone for your wisdom and guidance.

Lynn

Comments (5)