SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
isobea

Great red or pink Plumerias?

isobea
13 years ago

Hi everyone, I have a flowerbed that is 10 feet wide by 3 feet deep. It is up against a south facing wall of our house and receives full sun. I would like to replant it with plumeria this spring. Since the stucco is a pretty light color, I am looking for red and/or darker pink flowers. We spend a lot of time in that area so strong scent and good keeping quality are a must. Can anybody recommend some varieties that would work well? Also how many plants would fit into that space? I don't want to have to prune them too much nor replant them to a different area a few years later because they got too big.

Thanks for your advice,

Iso

Comments (31)

• Kimo
    13 years ago

Hey Iso,
    You may want to plant some taller Red plants like Lani aka Lani's beauty, Hilo Beauty, Wild Fire or Donald Angus,and Gina, then maybe some Pink compact/dwafs under them like Divine, Dwarf Singpore Pink, Etc. All the above listed are good bloomers

• tdogdad
    13 years ago

Always pay attention to James" (freak) recommendations as he knows his plants. I personally always like the smells of Jeannie Moragne(rose), Kimi Moragne(spicy), and Charlotte Ebert(sweet perfume)which are all outstanding flowers but they like most plumerias will grow.
    Unless you get dwarfs like divine, you are going to be pruning down the line.
    Jeannie M.:
    {{gwi:1150174}}

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
    Kimi M.:
    {{gwi:1150177}}

Charlotte Ebert:
    {{gwi:1150179}}

• Related Discussions

Have pink plumerias

Q

Comments (5)
    I would like to get some pink plumeria cuttings. Are they rooted? I have for trade: Several Lemon Grass in 4" pots (leaves are 1.5 ft tall, the base has developped 2 or 3 bulbs/stalks), vietnamese coriander herb (can put in 5" pot), red ivy geranium, pink ivy geranium, 1 foot cuttings of dragon fruit plant, Epiphillium (very light yellow, fushchia pink. If interested in trading, please let me know. Thanks!
    ...See More

Plumeria/Yak Saudi/Pink obesum adenium

Q

Comments (7)
    I am interested in your seeds. I am including a link to my tradelist. I do have 3 seeds of Nasturtium 'Strawberries & Cream' and 4 of 'Peach Melba'(not on your list but I thought you might be interested). LMK, Les Here is a link that might be useful: Tradelist
    ...See More

Four Mysteries: Pink, Red, Pink & White Mini, Pink/Peach HT

Q

Comments (26)
    I agree that the red is Chrysler Imperial. I had it, Mirandy, and Mr Lincoln in the same garden in WA. Mirandy is a different red, Mr Lincoln a different form. I think your last one is either Peace or Chicago Peace. Blossom color on both varies with temperature & acidity of soil. Even the spring & fall bloom colors will be different. I have a climbing Peace that never manages a spring bloom due to winter die-back but this year produced a fall bloom and the color was exactly like that of the rose in your picture. Sorry, no pix of it.
    ...See More

Plumeria 'Pink Pansy' bloomed!!

Q

Comments (28)
    I see that Derrick has renamed this variety as Pink Pansy Hybrid on his website. I'm pretty new to collecting plumeria. A couple weeks ago I placed an order on his website because the deals were amazing. How could I say no to 10 cuttings for $60? I realize the varieties may not be true to what he's naming them but I'll be happy with some pretty flowers. I do not have plans for resale. I did try to stay away from the plumerias that he listed as hybrids and named after friends and family. Scratch that last part. I actually selected one or two "uniquely named" plumerias because I liked the pictures. I wanted some Hawaiian plumerias but a trip to the islands is not in the budget right now. I'm hoping Hawaiian plumerias have more fragrance than the plumeria blooms I've smelled in person in my area. I know it's nuts to start cuttings at this time of year but I'm a little plumeria crazy right now. :) I'm having great luck with seedlings too. I have no idea what I'm going to do with them next year but I'm having fun seeing great germination rates. I just received 100 seeds from a trusted Thailand seller this week. I started soaking 1/3 of the seeds yesterday. Dave - If you are going to toss some in the trash, ummm.......would you consider tossing a cutting or 2 my way? I will pay for shipping. Thanks!
    ...See More
  • labland
    13 years ago

Bill,

Love the pictures. I really like the color of the Kimi Moragne especially. I want to get some new colors this year. So many to choose from!

When you mention scent, I love the standard plumeria scent, kind of like the Singapore whites have. What would you call that type of scent, sweet perfume?

Jennifer

• tdogdad
    13 years ago

The Celadine scent is generally called "plumeria" or "frangipani" or sometimes waxy citrus. Unfortunately, none of the commercial lotions or perfumes are remotely close. The Charlotte E. scent is like a woman's perfume. One list calls it sweet, pleasant. Also Kauka Wilder has a perfume smell that smells like a suntan lotion. These are ones I stop and sniff when passing by. vera Cruz rose and my psycho are two others but are yellow and white.

• labland
    13 years ago

I guess I should get Celadine. I don't have any. Yeah, I am talking about true plumeria scent from the leis, not the perfume scent. I must be remembering leis made with the Celadine. It has been a few years since I got " leied". :-). The last time was in 2000 when I graduated from University of La Verne when my mom and father in law came over for the ceremony. I dried the leis and had them for about 3 years. Unfortunately, moving them made them fall apart.

Reminds me of my moand dad's house (before my dad died) they had a huge pile of dried leis hanging on the outside house light at their back door in Kailua. Loved the look!

• isobea
    Original Author
    13 years ago

James and Bill - thanks a lot for the suggestions. Hilo Beauty has been on my wishlist for a while, and I love the look of Wild Fire and Jeannie Moragne. Also the idea of underplanting with dwarves. But how many plants do you guys think would fit into that 10 foot wide bed? My husband said he would dig up some of the lawn to make the bed deeper. Also I found a really nice picture of JL Orange Red - any opinions on that one? What does it smell like? Do you have a favorite red one from Jungle Jack's? He's just 15 minutes away, and I could pick up a plant or two. Thanks once again,
    Iso

• sunseeker53
    13 years ago

I'd definitely pick up a California Sunset if buying from JJ.

• isobea
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi Sunseeker, you are right California Sunset is a great plant. I bought it from John last summer. Unfortunately the color won't show up enough against my stucco (especially when it gets cooler and Calif. Sunset's colors go to yellow and white). Any experience with Jungle Jack's reds or strong pinks? Are you close to me (Carlsbad)?
    Iso

• slave2thefur
    13 years ago

Hi Iso - I'm also in coastal C'bad, and recommend Kaneohe Sunrise or K. Sunset, SD Sunset, Dean Conklin or Ferris Wheel for good color.

I've found that many blooms don't develop strong color without the heat, but those do well for me. Some of JJ's did not bloom last year due to the cool weather, and many noticeably faded when taken out of the greenhouse.

Diana =^,,^=

• isobea
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi Diana, good to hear from you again. We had "talked" in December when I posted a question about Jungle Jack's plumerias. Back then you had given me a whole list of plumies that have done well for you in Carlsbad. I noticed that you didn't really include any reds - is it just not warm enough here?
    By the way, my Cook's Bay cutting (that I tried to root in a plastic bag) is still hanging in there. Doesn't have any visible roots yet, but still looks healthy and the tips are slowly waking up. I might just pot it up with a raw egg in the bottom of the pot. Lots of people seem to have good luck with that. Can' t wait till it gets warmer - too bad we have to go through this cold rain storm first that they are predicting for Wed.-Sun.
    By the way, I can't find any pictures of 'Ferris Wheel' - could you post one? Thanks once again for your advice,
    Iso

• MyTropicalPlants
    13 years ago

I've been using the whole raw egg method that the Aloha Plumeria group started and it has worked amazing for me too. I think Mimi stated that she puts the egg somewhere closer to the top, not the bottom of the pot though, so the nutrients from the egg reach the roots faster as they form. I've been doing that way as she describes in the files and has worked well for me.

• sunseeker53
    13 years ago

Hi Iso,
    Yes I'm about 45 minutes away from where you are! I don't have any experience with JJ reds yet, but I just thought about 1 that is not JJ's but that I highly recommend: Kaneohe Sunburst. It's a dark pink and the blooming habit is impressive. It bloomed on and on all summer in my yard, into the fall. Now it is in a greenhouse and it has continued blooming! It is tall and has skinny branches, so it might be good to plant in the back row of your planter. Here is a picture of it.

• sunseeker53
    13 years ago

Ooops, I messed up! No picture! I did something wrong... Would Bill or somebody kindly give me instructions on how to post pictures that will show up in the post itself (not as a link)? Thank you!

• isobea
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi sunseeker, thanks for suggesting K. Sunburst. I googled it and the flowers are truly spectacular! Nice strong colors like I am trying to find. Some websites say the keeping quality is only 'fair to good'. Did you find that to be true?
    Also, I am still trying to find out how many plants I could have in this 10 ft x 3-4 ft flowerbed. Can anybody help?
    Iso

• slave2thefur
    13 years ago

Hi Iso - this webshot link will give you an idea of what the blooms will look like in typical C'bad summer.

Here are some from last year, including GH pix since the weather was so cool - https://picasaweb.google.com/106012125635095277966/PlumeriaAndOtherBlooms2010?feat=directlink

Here is a link that might be useful: 09 and 10 plumeria

• sunseeker53
    13 years ago

Iso, in my opinion Kaneohe Sunburst bloom keeping quality is very good. They last for days when picked and brought inside. I haven't figured out how to post the pictures in the post itself, but I know how to add a link, so here is a link to the picture of a flower I picked today. The size is 4 inches accross, and the color is actually the deepest thatI've seen it since last summer. Out of all the plumies I have, this plant impresses me the most for its ability to bloom for such a long time and the color. The only minus that I give it is the skinny branches (they are not fat and sturdy looking like California Sunset's!)

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:1150167}}

• isobea
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Diana - thanks for the link to your photo collection. I've already experienced the difference in color depending on the temperature (my Cal. Sunset). If I could post a picture, I would show you the color variations side by side on the same inflo. Unfortunately my old computer died and though the pictures are also on my husband's computer, I would have to hunt for them.

Sunseeker - thanks for that brand new picture - an amazing color and it's February! I am so glad you told me about the keeping quality of your plant's flowers. Where do you live? Are you also in a coastal area? And by the way, what is the name of the second flower in that photo? It looks almost identical to a flower I saw at Jungle Jack's last fall. The plant didn't have a name tag and John didn't have any idea either. Wish I could have bought that plant..

Iso

• sunseeker53
    13 years ago

Iso, I'm in Laguna Hills, fairly close to the ocean (about 10 miles). I did mention that the Kaneohe is currently in my greenhouse, so I'm not sure how it would have fared if it was outside at this time. Here is another picture of the Kaneohe, in January (I frequently put my plumies outside during the day last month to enjoy the beautiful weather that we had in January!).
    The other flower is JJ's Sparkle, apparently one of their newer ones. The flower is spectacular (love those red veins) but they might be too pastel for your planter.

Here is a link that might be useful:

• isobea
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi Sunseeker, I am almost positive that the plant I liked so much at JJ's is the same as your JJ's Sparkle. My husband is home and helped me find a picture I took of John's plant (flower). I'd love to attach it via a link (so you can tell me if it's the same plant). Just don't know how to do that.
    Iso

PS: I could plant it in 2 other flowerbeds or even leave
    it in a pot.

• sunseeker53
    13 years ago

Hi Iso,
    You can register at www.imageshack.com for free to upload your pictures there, then copy the links over to your post here. I had to do that (I use another hosting site but it didn't work here when I tried).
    I am adding a clearer picture of JJ Sparkle so you can at least compare with your picture. Hope this helps!

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:1150171}}

• isobea
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Good morning Sunseeker, I'm on my own this morning, so I sent you an email with a photo attached. Hope it worked - let me know.
    Iso

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    13 years ago

Hello Sunseeker,

If you are still having problems trying to post..send me an email and i will help you post your picture..

I had the same problem before..so I remember...TZ was the one who really helped me...so i will gladly help you post your pictures!!! : )

my email lmjusa@yahoo.com

Have a greeat day everyone!!!

Laura in VB

• tdogdad
    13 years ago

sunseeker- sorry I missed your question. I only know how to post using imageshack which my wife subscribes to, so Laura may be more help. I am located near South Coast Plaza in Costa Mesa so we are fairly close. When Laura come out for the garden show, perhaps we should all meet at the show (James, Labland, etc.) Anyway, here are two pics. one of k.sunburst and k.sunset.
    {{gwi:1150181}}

{{gwi:1150184}}

• sunseeker53
    13 years ago

Hi Laura: Thank you for offering to help! You got mail :-)

Hi Bill: I did sign up to Imageshack, and was able to add a "link" to pictures in Imageshack, but still didn't know how to make the pictures themselves appear in the posts instead of links (like what you did above). BTW your pictures are beautiful!
    It's a very good idea to have us plumeria addicts (!) meet at the garden show, however I'd like to have the date and place! Is this organized by the South coast Plumeria Society? On april 2 and 3, there is also a plant sale in San Diego by the Southern Calif Plumeria Society.

• isobea
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi everyone, are you guys talking about the South Coast Plaza Spring Garden Show (April 28 - May 1)??? I am planning on going up there with a friend anyway, so let me know when and where everybody wants to meet. I would love to meet all these wonderful people who have been helping me so much!
    Iso

13 years ago

Hello Everyone!!!

That's the show that i am planning to attend...(I can hardly wait!!!) : ) The South Coast Plaza Garden Show...APril 28- May 1st....

Sunseeker....I just checked my email....i will respond to you shortly!!! But I will say that I use Photobucket...
    if this is the same format...then i hope this helps...I know that you said that you use imageshack...probably the smae...so here it goes...sorry to try and explain...but i am going to tell you everything that i do and show you the pic that i am using as your example...hope this helps!!!!

have your window open for the garden P forum...open another window for your imageshack..or photobucket....find the pic that you want to post..on PB once you place your cursor on the pic...it shows four boxes under the pic....select the HTML CODE with (left click) and mine says "copied" then go back to the forum window....have your thread ready...then make sure the return key is at the left hand side margin under the paragraph that you wanted to say...(Hit the return key)
    then place the cursor on the left line...right click and paste...you will see all kinds of letters (numbers) about five lines worth...that will be your pic...if you want to post mutliple pics...thenjusut hit the return key at the end and start the routine again....after you have finished...you preview your posting...it should show your pictures there before you finalize your posting...here goes my pic...i hope this helps....i will email you later..!!

This is a pic of one of my favortie Plumeria... ( Daisy WIlcox) it was so fragrant and beautiful last summer...ahhhh to smell these again will be heaven!!! : )

{{gwi:1586}}

Just something extra..to show everyone the snow that we had this Januuary...Ugggggg!!!
    {{gwi:55208}}

Take care everyone....Sunseeker..i hope this helps...

I would really like to meet everyone as well at the show...Sounds like alot of fun!!!

Laura in VB

• tdogdad
    13 years ago

Here are my steps with imageshack:
    When I finish typing my message I hit return.
    Then I click on file and release on "new window."
    Now I go to imageshack on the new window (http://imageshack.us/)
    When imageshack comes up. (image size should be set at 640 x 480 first)(and no for label thumb) then I click on browse.
    I find my picture and double click on it (or click and then click on open)the name and file size will show.
    Now I click on upload now
    soon it will show upload successful and the picture with a list of links to share.
    click on the HTML information which turns blue.
    Now hold Command and hit C (this copies)
    yellow dot your screen and go to the message box. The curser should be blinking at the bottom.
    Hold Command and hit V (this pastes the coded info)
    Now click on preview message.
    Hope this make sense....Bill

• labland
    13 years ago

Laura,

And I thought I was cold up by Fresno at a hunt test in the rain this last week! Brrrr! Jennifer

• sunseeker53
    13 years ago

Laura and Bill, thanks for the instructions! I have both PhotoBucket and ImageShack, and after reading your instructions, I know now what I did wrong. I think I know how to do it now. Thank you!
    The dates for the Garden show will present a little problem for me: I will leave for vacation to Hawaii on April 30 (saturday). So the only 2 days that I can go to the show will be April 28 or 29, problem is I work full time, so will only be able to go after work on either day. Has there been a time and date set for the group to get together yet?
    If I don't get to see everybody on that occasion :-( I hope to be able to on another occasion down the road!

13 years ago

Hello Everyone..

Hi Jen..yes...it's been a cold winter...and i'm afraid that we may see a dusting of snow again this morning...Uggggg!!!

My hubby and i are planning to come out...so i will email you as the time gets near... (can't wait) : ) I told him about how you train Labs...his response..."Great..now we can get a new Lab!!! " LOL...

Sunseeker...Im glad that you have had some success with this ...please ask for any assistance if you need it!!!

No dates or times have been discussed as of yet...but im sure we can work in a time that will be suitable for you!!

We would like to meet you as well!!!

So sad that you "have" to leave to go on Vacation!!!! LOL..
    That's a great reason to miss part of the show...I think that you will enjoy being in HI...I know that i would love to be there...

Take care everyone!!!

Chat soon...

Laura in VB

• labland
    13 years ago

Laura, any time a husband says lets get a lab, I am all for it! lol

Everyone planning on going to the South Coast Plaza show, I am definitely there. I don't live as close by as Bill, but within 45 minutes, so no problem. We can figure out a time and place and it would be great to meet everyone!

Since I am going to Hawaii in May, I am going to plan on looking for plumeria cutttings while I am there,

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations