SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nebrguy

Termite question

nebrguy
15 years ago

I have a brick ranch with a walk-out basement that I purchased last year. The sides of the house have concrete sidewalks/steps leading to the back of the house. One side does have small planting beds between the sidewalk and the house. The entire back side of the house has a concrete patio with one small planting bed filled with red rock. The front has a concrete drive and concrete stoop at the front door.

What this leaves me with is about 25 to 30 feet of planting beds in the front of the house. At this point there is yew, a burning bush and a japanese maple with a few spring-flowering bulbs.

My question is, with as much concrete as there is around the house (minimum of 30" in width up to about 20 feet) I would suspect the only area I really need to be concerned with is the front when it comest to termites. Would this be correct?

I hate rock and am fearful of using mulch after reading a number of forums. Any suggestions on what I can use around the front of the house that will limit termite exposure without fully enclosing every inch of my exterior with concrete? Do I need to be concerned with the sides and back? Of the three "living" seasons, is there one that I am more likely to see the mud tunnels on my house? If my main concern for exposure is this 25 to 30 foot section on the front, should I just use mulch and spray it with chemicals every year?

Comments (5)